I was trying to setup Unreal

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
andrew89898

I was trying to setup Unreal

Post by andrew89898 »

Well, I was setting up unrealircd, It was all easy until it came to the question:
What is the hostname of the server running your IRCd?
I was reading a tutorial, my hostname said : *******-pc instead of something like irc.ircnetworks.com Why is this? How can I get it to show a domain instead, I'm a bit confused in how it uses the domain for unrealircd I don't really have much knowledge on domains. Every other tutorial had a good hostname, I thought I could just change my PC hostname to irc.mywebsite.com but I thought that wouldn't work because I'm using a top level domain without buying it.

Please Help,

Thanks
Jobe
Official supporter

Re: I was trying to setup Unreal

Post by Jobe »

I'm going to assume by "your hostname" you mean the one that appears in /whois <yournick>, in which case that is the host name to which the IP you connected from resolves. Now to get a custom host name to show you have to use one of various options including but not limited to running your own DNS server that Unreal (and your OS) uses to do rDNS lookups on IP addresses and then setup rDNS for your LAN IP's (the host name ending in -pc is usually for a LAN IP), or you could use a vhost block and use the /vhost command to get your vhost, or you could /oper and then use /sethost or you could use a services package with a HostServ service.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image