Software caused connection reset.

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
SequenceInitiated

Software caused connection reset.

Post by SequenceInitiated »

Alright well, I setup unreal 3.2 on my buddies VPS, and it's up and everything, but I sometimes randomly get kicked off, aswell as the people on the IRC with the reason "Software caused connection reset" or something similar. The sendq is set to 3,000,000 and the recvq is set to 32,000 so it shouldn't be either of those causing the errors.

Also, sometimes I'll go to join the irc, and find out the irc is down for no reason, the box never restarted or anything and I have to go back in and ./unreal start.

Any ideas on what's causing these things?
SequenceInitiated

Re: Software caused connection reset.

Disregard this thread, I fixed the problem. There was only 1024 MB's of RAM, very, very low amount which was causing the UnrealIRCd to crash. I fixed it by rooting another box and switching to Fatalz (Since it's more hacker friendly).
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

uhm, 1024MB is 1GB of ram, That's not a "very very low" amount. Unreal can run on far far less. Your 1GB RAM isn't what caused Unreal to crash. connection resets are caused when one end of the connection unexpectedly goes missing. This is usually caused by a bad route or a faulty router somewhere in the network path.
SequenceInitiated

1 GB of RAM is, extremely low, You can't run shit all on 1GB of ram, good luck running a IRCD with ~1000 connections.

I switched to another server, 16GB's of RAM, 14GB's free, and it's still crashing, even when we switched to Fatalz, so it's gotta be that all 1000 of my connections crash simultaneously causing the server to stop, or that something is wrong with the setup.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

SequenceInitiated wrote:1 GB of RAM is, extremely low, You can't run shit all on 1GB of ram, good luck running a IRCD with ~1000 connections.

I switched to another server, 16GB's of RAM, 14GB's free, and it's still crashing, even when we switched to Fatalz, so it's gotta be that all 1000 of my connections crash simultaneously causing the server to stop, or that something is wrong with the setup.

lol As I said, It's not the RAM. For any ircd 1GB is more than enough. There are documented cases of 40k users (using kqueue) on a single ircd with less than a 1GB of RAM and having no issues. FreeBSD has a dynamic file descriptor allocation and will automatically set 11k for FDMAX with only 512MB RAM.

At anyrate, on to the trouble shooting. Try running Unreal inside gdb. What OS/Distro are we referring to?
SequenceInitiated

Right now I cannot. My buddy who has ~100,000 connections on his rooted box is working perfectly fine, but he's offline right now, and he's the only one with root access to the box. I could get root access to the old box I have, only has 1GB of Ram, but as you seem to believe, that can hold 11k.

Edit: FFS, My buddy who owns the box with the 1GB is currently offline aswell. So I cannot due anything at the moment. Once either my buddy Jason, or my buddy John comes on, I can start running tests.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

I didn't say you can have 11k users on an ircd with 1gb ram. I said FreeBSD allocates 11k file descriptors with 512MB RAM. there are a lot of other factors involved than just RAM and file descriptors that determines the number of users. the I/O socket engine for one plays a huge role. Some use more resources than others, some are OS specific .. etc.

You don't need root to run gdb on unreal, unless you are running unreal as root, which is a very bad idea.
SequenceInitiated

katsklaw wrote:I didn't say you can have 11k users on an ircd with 1gb ram. I said FreeBSD allocates 11k file descriptors with 512MB RAM. there are a lot of other factors involved than just RAM and file descriptors that determines the number of users. the I/O socket engine for one plays a huge role. Some use more resources than others, some are OS specific .. etc.

You don't need root to run gdb on unreal, unless you are running unreal as root, which is a very bad idea.
And why is running unreal as root a bad idea? Root is admin, so running unreal as admin, how could that possibly be bad.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

running any user application at a level higher than needed is a bad idea. One arguable reason Linux is more secure than windows is for that very reason. applications run as un privledged users can't harm the system (generally speaking). Windows, especially XP and older assumes all users, by default are admins, which is why viruses are so devastating. They have admin access and can delete system files, shut down other users applications .. etc.

Would you hand out your root password to just anyone? Of course not, but by running an application as root you are one step closer to doing just that.
SequenceInitiated

So, installing a unbackdoored Fatalz I got from a good, good friend of mine who will lend me almost anything besides his own balls and running it as admin is going to harm a stolen box? Oh no!

It doesn't matter if Fatalz is run as root because there are no files being backdoored unless you can systematically edit files being created before they're created.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

SequenceInitiated wrote:1 GB of RAM is, extremely low, You can't run shit all on 1GB of ram, good luck running a IRCD with ~1000 connections.

I'm with katsklaw on this, I ran UnrealIRCd on FreeBSD for years with ONLY 256MB RAM without any of the problems you described. The box also ran numerous other services too including but not limited to Denora, Anope, BOPM, Apache, MySQL, and at least one eggdrop. So to be totally honest if you think you can't run anything on 1GB of RAM then you are entirely misguided. You can't easily run newer versions of WINDOWS on 1GB sure, but *nix OS still support RAM as low as 256MB or lower without any performance degradation.
SequenceInitiated wrote:So, installing a unbackdoored Fatalz I got from a good, good friend of mine who will lend me almost anything besides his own balls and running it as admin is going to harm a stolen box? Oh no!

It doesn't matter if Fatalz is run as root because there are no files being back doored unless you can systematically edit files being created before they're created.
Firstly I will state the ONLY version of UnrealIRCd we support is the version you can download from http://www.unrealircd.com Secondly I would like to ask, how do you personally know Fatalz has no back doors? The ONLY way you can be 100% sure is if you have gone through every line of code YOURSELF. I have seen people fall victim to having their boxes hacked because they trusted someone else's word for software not having any back doors. So the ONLY version of UnrealIRCd you can be 100% sure has no back doors is the UnrealIRCd available for download from http://www.unrealircd.com Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying other versions are full of back doors, I'm just saying the only version we know doesn't have back doors is the version we supply.

As for running as root, most security check lists include never giving a process more privileges then it needs even if you do trust it. The reason is although there are no currently known bugs or back doors, someone could still find a bug that could be used to compromise your system. We make no guarantees there are no bugs, as after all we are only human, but the developers here do their best to remove all found bugs.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Stolen box huh? *click*

For the record, the official release is also "unbackdoored".