Problems: 80 bytes per line and escape sequences in MOTD

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
GrandAdmiralThrawn

Problems: 80 bytes per line and escape sequences in MOTD

Post by GrandAdmiralThrawn »

Hello!

I have just set up my first Unreal IRCD, and I am having trouble with the MOTD. Not sure what I am doing wrong, I have tried to search the forums, FAQs, docs etc. to no avail.

My problem is the 80 bytes per line limit in the ircd.motd. I thought there was supposed to be an escape sequence to kill off the newline character to concatenate several lines together, the "\". However, I can't get that or any other escape sequences to work in my MOTD. I also tried some color codes and backspace, but I always get the plain text in the output as if the escape sequence isn't being parsed/interpreted at all. So if i write e.g. "\b", it would just print out "\b" in my MOTD instead of doing a backspace. Or maybe I can't write escape sequences just like that?!

Is there any way I can work around the 80 bytes per line limit and create a MOTD output that contains more bytes per line?

The charset for my ircd.motd file is UTF-8. I also tried if the escape sequences work in ANSI encoding, but they don't. I need UTF-8 for my ASCII art. The IRCD is sitting on Windows 2000 Server.

Thanks for any help, I'm a total newbie with this stuff!
SpaceDoG

Re: Problems: 80 bytes per line and escape sequences in MOTD

Post by SpaceDoG »

If this is the GAT I think it is then yes you are total nubcakes. ;-) Anywho... Check http://forums.unrealircd.com/viewtopic.php?t=8 and http://searchirc.com/boards/irc-4615.html.
GrandAdmiralThrawn

Post by GrandAdmiralThrawn »

I see, I used the wrong characters/bytes for the escape sequences, thanks! :) I'll try to work around the byte per line limit with that.

And: I'm unsure if you know me, but I doubt it, there are quite a few people out there using the same nickname. :)
SpaceDoG

Post by SpaceDoG »

If you don't recognize my name then I can probably agree because that means you don't play browser based space sim games :(