Uptime error (negative value)

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
int

Uptime error (negative value)

Post by int »

Hi everyone,

Are there some types of bug with UnrealIRCd 3.2.9 and *nix-amd64 ?

I'm running Unreal on Debian Squeeze 6.0.3 64bit on a VPS and the /stats u reports this values:

Code: Select all

Server Up 0 days, 0:-45:-47
For the first hour of uptime, the clock is counterclockwise. After that, begins to clockwise. This problem is reflected to nick sqline, gline, ircd/services link:

*** Notice -- Possible negative TS split at link services.domain.tld (1321144933 - 1321148500 = -3567) [PLEASE SYNC YOUR CLOCKS!]
Any ideas?

Sorry for my bad english,

Regards,

Gianremo
int

Re: Uptime error (negative value)

Post by int »

*** EDIT ***

I've found a solution: disable set::timesynch::
The problem arise when set::timesynch::enabled is enabled and no matter what the IPs are, any IP I configure, the IRCd set clock with offset -3567:

[Sun Nov 13 03:04:28 2011] - TIME SYNCH: IRCd clock succesfully synchronized to known good time source [offset: -3567, was: 0].
Now, I've another VPS (centos 5.7 64bit) and with *same* NTP Server all works correctly...

any idea?

Thanks you.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

The offset of approximately 3600 seconds (one hour) suggests to me the clock on your server has NOT been set correctly. For example the clock has been set to "local time" for someone with a time zone one hour different from the time zone the server has been set to use. The solution is A) set the time zone correctly (not sure how) B) set the time correctly, C) run an NTP client to synchronize the servers clock correctly.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
int

Post by int »

Hi,
thanks for reply.

The problem arises because the Xen VPS host has -1hr than OS Guest. Unfortunately I can't set clock on Xen so I'll configure set::timesynch:: disabled.

Thanks you

Gianremo
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Negative 1 hour around this time of year looks like your server was not set properly for daylight savings time.
int

Post by int »

yeah, you right. But I don't have root access on Xen physical Host :)

set::timesynch::disabled works smoothly :D

Regards,

G.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

You don't need root on the Xen host, you only need root on the VPS guest. install and run ntpd. Cron (as root) ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

As mentioned previously, it seems either your time zone is incorrect or the clock (which is just a matter of perspective ;p).
Disabling timesync and enabling ntp, or not using either one, does not fix anything.
Bottom line is: your GMT/UTC time is incorrect, which is used extensively in the IRC protocol and internally by the IRCd (and services).
You can see this if you do '/TSCTL ALLTIME' on your network, you will see the clock of this server is off.
Also, if you type 'date' on the shell, pay attention to both the time & the timezone, then you'll see it is not correct.

If you can't change the host, and can't change the clock, then why not change the timezone on the guest?
Change it to a zone which is 1 hour less than you currently have.
For example: if you now use Eatern Time (=UTC-5), then instead use Central Time (=UTC-6).
Or contact the hoster, of course, as this should be something they should be(come) aware of.
int

Post by int »

thanks to all for replys

As mentioned on the first post, the time on the VPS was set correctly (with ntpd). Seems that some Xen versions have problem with squeeze 64bit.
After contacted my hoster and configured independent_wallclock with

echo 1 > /proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock
the problem is solved.

Thanks you

G.

P.s: timesynch now is enabled :)
warg

Post by warg »

katsklaw wrote:You don't need root on the Xen host, you only need root on the VPS guest. install and run ntpd. Cron (as root) ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
It has been my experience that you cannot set the guest clock on Xen guest.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." — Ralph Waldo Emerson
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

warg wrote:It has been my experience that you cannot set the guest clock on Xen guest.
Heh, this sounds exactly like something the 'independent_wallclock' option changes, which 'int' described ;)