Couldnt resolve hostname.

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
hc2995

Couldnt resolve hostname.

Post by hc2995 »

Hello,

I have setup unreal 3.2.9 on windows 7 profession x64 and it works fine, however when i first connect i get the message "Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead." I have tried disabling firewalls on both my router and the system, put the server on the DMZ so all the ports are forwarded, changed the dns servers on the network interface (both my isp's dns servers and the google public dns) nothing has worked. When i run /quote dns i it shows me the dns has changed from my isp to the google public. I have run /rehash -dns and tried to connect again, same thing. I have shutdown the system and restarted it no help. When i run /quote dns i get Hits: 0 Misses: 13, however when i run /dns http://www.google.com and /dns http://www.unrealircd.com i get the following

Code: Select all

[DNS] Looking up www.google.com...
[DNS] Canonical: www.l.google.com Numerical: 72.14.204.99
[DNS] Canonical: iad04s01-in-f103.1e100.net Numerical: 72.14.204.103
[DNS] Canonical: iad04s01-in-f104.1e100.net Numerical: 72.14.204.104
[DNS] Canonical: iad04s01-in-f147.1e100.net Numerical: 72.14.204.147
[DNS] Canonical: iad04s01-in-f105.1e100.net Numerical: 72.14.204.105
[DNS] Looking up www.unrealircd.com...
[DNS] Canonical: www.unrealircd.com Numerical: 80.69.83.213
Not sure what im doing wrong here, any ideas?

Regards,
Howard C
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Couldnt resolve hostname.

Post by Stealth »

I'll start off by saying not all IP addresses are resolvable.

Next we'll get into the most likely reason why your server is not resolving your IP address. It is likely because the server sees you as connecting from 127.0.0.1, 10.*.*.*, 192.168.*.*, or 172.(16-31).*.*. Those IP addresses are a result of you connecting to your server through a local network, or localhost. Local IP addresses are not resolvable through conventional DNS lookups.

But it doesn't stop there. You might retort with "I'm connecting to my public IP address!". It simply does not matter. If you are connecting to your own IP address, the router on the network will automatically loop your connection back into the network and your server will see the connection coming from your router's local IP address (like 192.168.1.1). This is because the TCP protocol does not permit connections being made to the network's public IP address from within the network. There is nothing you can do about that.

"So how do I make it resolve?" This can be done by running your own DNS server and setting up a zone for your local network to resolve to your own domain, then set your network configuration to use that server to do DNS lookups. On Windows this would be a rather complex process and outside the UnrealIRCd scope, so you would be on your own.
hc2995

Re: Couldnt resolve hostname.

Post by hc2995 »

Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the help Stealth

Regards,
Howard C

*Update*

That was exactly it, went through a proxy and it found me no problems. Thank you.