Just linked to 3.2.9 Servers - desynch error:

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
PureEvil

Just linked to 3.2.9 Servers - desynch error:

Post by PureEvil »

I just linked 2 servers both running UnrealIRCd 3.2.9 and they are running Anope 1.9.6 but I keep getting this:

* *** Notice -- Warning! Possible desynch: SJOIN for channel #bluestorm has a fishy timestamp (6) [irc.bluestormirc.org/irc.bluestormirc.org]

I have tried to dropped the # and get everyone out of it, then come back and re-register it.
I tried disconnecting the servers running services on each one and then removing everyone droping it, then connecting them and re-register it.
I tired disconnecting the servers running services on each one and then removing everyone droping it, Then re-registering it on 1 server then connecting them.

I still keep getting this error, Anyone have any ideas?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: Just linked to 3.2.9 Servers - desynch error:

Post by Syzop »

You might want to search for 'fishy' in your ircd.log file.
Especially the first occurrence of it should give some clue as to what caused it.

If you don't find any entry in the ircd.log, that's possible, but it also makes it very hard to find the cause.
PureEvil

Post by PureEvil »

All I can find in the log with that is:

[Thu Feb 23 13:51:53 2012] - Possible desynch: MODE for channel #bluestorm ('+ ') has fishy timestamp (7) (from stats.BlueStormHostingSolutions.net/stats.BlueStormHostingSolutions.net)

also new symptom:

connected to both servers and in the same #
a guy was # op in 1 server but not on the other in the same room, and text was sent and services where there so they were linked.......

Iam running NeoStats also.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Can you show us the output of /tsctl alltime please?
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
PureEvil

Post by PureEvil »

* *** Server=Singapore.SG.BlueStorm.SG TStime=1330429474 time()=1330429476 TSoffset=0
.........* *** Server=irc.bluestormirc.org TStime=1330429476 time()=1330429476 TSoffset=0

Obviously I added the ......... to make it easier to comapre times.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

PureEvil wrote:All I can find in the log with that is:

[Thu Feb 23 13:51:53 2012] - Possible desynch: MODE for channel #bluestorm ('+ ') has fishy timestamp (7) (from stats.BlueStormHostingSolutions.net/stats.BlueStormHostingSolutions.net)
Iam running NeoStats also.
I haven't looked at the neostats code, but judging from the log I think that's your problem :)

Neostats is no longer being developed for several years and contains (other) known bugs.
You might want to look for another software package. For stats, I'd suggest Denora.

PS: I've now removed the link to Neostats from the unrealircd.com links page. Didn't know it was still there.
PureEvil

Post by PureEvil »

I didnt either lol, just old habits been using neostats for years. Guess I will have to try something new...

Will this error cause any real problems?
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

It's hard to tell actually. No desynch should be considered welcome as they can cause a myriad of undesireable things from nearly invisible to catastrophic.

I'd also advise you to switch to denora. http://denorastats.org
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

The fishy timestamp error means the 'creation time' of the channel is of a suspiciously low value. Yours was a few seconds after midnight 01-01-1970, which obviously is impossible.

The worst thing I can think of, is if a user could somehow trigger this fishy timestamp (eg: by some neostats command), then in case of a netsplit a user can trick one side (the side still connected to neostats) to have a lower TS than the other side of the netsplit.
Then, when the netsplit is over and the channels merge, the lowest timestamp wins, which - if you do it correctly - means you can takeover a channel and all users on the other side are deoped (-vhoaq).
Now, all of this is much less of an issue if you have services, then channel ops/admins/owner can easily take control back, and as long as services are connected you can't takeover the channel in the first place.