How Do I Configure UnrealIRd?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Kleptopia

Post by Kleptopia »

Hello... I recently download and installed UnrealIRCd and Anope Services, but i am having trouble on two things the first is I get a error when trying to use commands like /nickserv ect... The error I get is something like Iocops link denied, no block named irc.kleptopians.x10.mx.... And the second thing is where it saying put your network server for example services.test.com, I don't have a network server just my local IP and my regular IP address.
Kleptopia

Post by Kleptopia »

All I really want to know is if I can use my Local IP or IP instead of a network name like irc.example.com and how, and also how can i use commands without getting that error.
katsklaw

Re: How Do I Configure UnrealIRd?

Post by katsklaw »

I don't normally cross post, but I wrote an article on linking unreal and anope a few years ago. It's found at: http://forum.anope.org/index.php?topic=1267.0
Kleptopia

Thank You katsklaw

Post by Kleptopia »

I understand now, thank you very much. So can I basically use my local IP for the bits like services.127.0.0.1 because I only want it locally until I learn a lot more.
katsklaw

Re: How Do I Configure UnrealIRd?

Post by katsklaw »

yes, IPs are best everywhere in the config EXCEPT when you are referring to names specifically, like the me block and the naming of the link block for example. The less ambiguous the better.

As far as IP's go, if you run services on the same machine as it's uplink ircd you could use 127.0.0.1 if it's a private box like a vps or dedicated server that YOU OWN! If you use a shell account, you should use the dedicated IP your provider gave you. Sane routing tables would treat your dedicated IP the exact same as 127.0.0.1 anyway. That's because the machine knows what IPs it can see without using it's gateway and which requires to be routed upstream. IRC administration is best served if you know some basic networking as well as how to use your OS of choice. Otherwise you have a huge learning curve. With that said, if you don't understand what I just said, you should stop playing with irc and learn some basic networking terms. You don't need to be a CCIE or anything, just know how data moves within a LAN and how to find your IP. what the difference between 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.1 and your assigned IP from your provider is. Depending on your level of comprehension it should take anywhere form 1 or more days. It's really not so complex and skills you will need to be an effective admin anyway.