Unreal 3.2.9 can't rehash when start at boot

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
geekywarrior

Unreal 3.2.9 can't rehash when start at boot

Post by geekywarrior »

Hello all,

I am running Unreal IRCD 3.2.9 downloaded from http://www.unrealircd.com/ and running on Linux Mint 11.

Everything is configured correctly and unreal IRCD boots up fine.

To start it manually, I opened up the Unreal3.2 folder in terminal and ran the command:
sudo ./unreal start

This worked perfectly, I used the same binary to rehash and restart my server without any problems.
Now I wanted to have unreal IRCD start on machine boot, to do so I wrote a little script to start it using that command.

cd
cd Unreal3.2
./unreal start

Using the start up applications menu, I entered my script to run on start up, this does indeed start unreal IRCD.
However now, when I navigate back to the unreal binary to rehash, it spits out this error:

sudo ./unreal rehash
Rehashing UnrealIRCd
kill: 154: No such process

And attempting to restart or stop unrealIRCD spits out the error that unreal IRCD is not running, although it is, I can connect to it, and if I attempt to restart unreal IRCD it complains that it can't bind the port (as it's in use).

I tried chrowning the script to root and having the script run as root, but no changes.

Is it the method I'm using to auto start incorrect? I looked up the cron jobs method, but didn't quite understand it.
(I get the premise, it checks every few minutes to see if Unreal is running and starts it if not), but I wasn't sure how to actually configure it.

Thanks for any help!
katsklaw

Re: Unreal 3.2.9 can't rehash when start at boot

Post by katsklaw »

With scripts, you want to use absolute paths so instead of cd; cd Unrea32 .. try cd /home/user/Unrea32. However, why are you not using crontab? Unreal ships with a check script already and just create a cron entry instead.