IP Logging problem in 3.2.9

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
TBFB

IP Logging problem in 3.2.9

Post by TBFB »

Hey guys !
Whenever users connect to IRC they connect in such way, example:

Code: Select all

(5:13:24 AM) User1 [[email protected]] entered the room.
and everyone can see the IP.
I tried it by not logging i.e commented the lines to log into ircd.log , but still IP is there.
I am not using any services like anope. So I want to disable IRC from showing & logging IP.
also I cannot be oper there, the one who joins the channel first, only he is oper .

Thanks
cards

Re: IP Logging problem in 3.2.9

Post by cards »

1) If you are an IRCOp, you are going to be able to see IP's regaurdless. (Normal users should see a masked IP).
2) That is the point of a channel. The first person to join is going to be the Op, and all other's would have to be oped by them. If the second user also had Ops on joining a channel, they could take it over. You would need to user services with a level system (Such as Anope) to auto op you on joining the channel. If you are an IRCop, you can op yourself on any channel you want, although you will lose a lot of users as they will feel it's an invasiion of their rights to be on your network.
NetAdmin
irc.420-HighTimes.com
TBFB

Post by TBFB »

this is the problem. every user can view the real IP. I dont even want Operator to view Real IP.
I just want IP logging to be disabled completely.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

1> The log is only viewable to those with shell access and you want to keep it that way.
2> Users on IRC shouldn't see others IP's as they are cloaked by default and have been for years. Vanilla 3.2.9 hides IP's from users so you either altered the source or you have a 3rd party module that is broadcasting the IP's.
3> You can not prevent opers from seeing users real addresses without altering the source, which is not supported.
4> You are confusing oper status with chanop status. The first to join a channel gets CHANMODE +o, aka Channel Ops/ChanOps/Chops/Ops. Opers are IRC Operators that gain oper status by issuing the /oper command and they get USERMODE +o or +O depending on the associated oper block in unrealircd.conf and has nothing to do with joining any channel what so ever.