Chat Times Out

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Chrisnetika

Chat Times Out

Post by Chrisnetika »

Using latest version on unrealircd,
I have users complaining to me that they getting timeout.. meaning they sit in chat and see activity and after awhile activity stops, they can type in chat but don't get new activity and have to refresh.
Clients being used is java and regular client like icechat.

What can be doing this? How I prevent it from happening?
Chrisnetika

Re: Chat Times Out

Post by Chrisnetika »

anybody? .. everyone keeps timing out and it very frustrating because it is a clan chat ..I have tripled checked settings and can't find anything that can affect that ... :/
cards

Post by cards »

Timeouts are generally in issue with ISP, or faulty networking equipment. The reason they aren't disconnected immediately is the "PING/PONG" the server does. I have this common issue with satellite internet. If you are housing the server at your home and it affects everyone, I would say it is your connection to the internet that is the issue. If you have Cable internet, I would suspect that your ISP has oversold your area. Remember, on cable 12Meg means burstable UP TO, not constant. I've seen oversold areas of cable where customers have "12 MEG" internet yet their constant connection is only around 150Kbit on downloads.
NetAdmin
irc.420-HighTimes.com
Chrisnetika

Post by Chrisnetika »

That shouldn't be the issue for me .. it hosted on a vps with pure Gigabit pipeline.
im seeing users get peer reset and some just .. nothing .. chat don't update.Im just wondering what I can possibly tweak and any advice on settings ... or if anope has anything to do with it ... which I can't see because it config right .. other than that it operates like fluid.Only other issues I get is sops/aops with unreg nicks can be opped w/o registering and identing and channel creation limit bug .. which are anope issues not the IRCD
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

For the ping timeouts or clients not responding, check your pingfreq settings in the class blocks.

As for the "connection reset by peer" issue, that is something involving the connection being lost somewhere between their computer and your server. There is nothing that can really be done about it, except maybe get a server that is more local to those affected.