only my irc can connect to my server !!

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
4mIRC

only my irc can connect to my server !!

Post by 4mIRC »

hello...
i would like to ask is there any command
to deny any user tried to connect to my server from any other irc script ?

example i made script to my users with my commands
if any user made other or downloaded other script he will denied to connet
and the reason will be like that
[11:52] * Connecting to irc.***.net (6667)
-
[11:52] -Irc.****.Net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[10:27] -Irc.****.Net- *** Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead
-
[10:27] Closing Link: nick-13493[94.201.228.43] ( to connect to this server u need to downlad our script http://www.***.net/script.zip)
-
[10:27] * Disconnected

Thanks
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: only my irc can connect to my server !!

Post by Stealth »

This has been discussed MANY times in the past (serach for allowing java only). However, here are a few things that have been discussed in the past and why they won't work:
  1. Change the port number to your server, then add that port setting to your script. Changing the port number will only fool people for a small amount of time. It is extremely easy to find the port number simply by looking at what your script outputs as it's connecting.
  2. Set a password in the allow block, and make your script send the password to the server. Adding special things to your script could easily be just located and extracted by anyone else. I have seen the most inexperienced users pull something hidden deep inside a script out.
  3. Give your script a SSL certificate and key, then make the script use that to authenticate with SSL authentication set in the allow block. This is just silly, and VERY insecure since everyone would be connected with the same key. You'd also be freely handing out the key so anyone could decrypt the connection.
  4. Have the server send a challenge to the script (like 123) and expect a calculated reply (like 246). Well first you would need a module to check this, then you would need a script to grab the command and send the response. Again, a mIRC script can be read by anyone and this won't last long.
  5. Don't allow anyone to do anything unless they set a specific mode or send a specific command.That's the same as using a password or using a challenge-response scenario as described in the last thing. It just simply won't last long before someone figures it out.
There also have been many networks that have tried this in the past. Those networks are never around, and scripters would make it a challenge to crack the restriction. I myself have gained access to numerous "java-only" or "client-restricted" networks using a vanilla mIRC and VERY little scripting. Networks such as these can usually be cracked within minutes once someone actually takes a look at it.

In the long run, it's just easier and more friendly to recommend people use your script. It is not wise to force it on them, they simply will not go to your network to talk to the same people they can chat with on other networks.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

One more technical bullet, not everyone uses windows or mirc. Mirc costs money and some refuse to "buy" a client when there are free one and mirc only works on windows so you will be excluding mac and linux users directly.

As a linux user, why am i not welcome on your network?!
4mIRC

Post by 4mIRC »

dear katsklaw & Stealth

thanks alot for the teply i will bot use it

i only saw it and i like the idea because by that no flood bots

or proxy can join and flood ( security )

thanks
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Just remember the more rules you have restricting users the easier it is to lose users. Even rules that insure users rights need to be well thought out.

Good luck.