Disconnected users do not leave chat room

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
ilusnst

Disconnected users do not leave chat room

Post by ilusnst »

Summary: Clients closing a browser window on CGI:IRC remain in the chat room even though disconnected.

Hello Unrealircd forum,

Long time reader first time poster so I'll start with THANKS! The fact that I've been learning in here for a year without the need to post is a testament to how awesome the forum is.

I’m running Unreal 3.2 on Debian Squeeze with Anope services with great success (Thanks again) but I’ve hit an obstacle I can’t seem to figure out.

To make it easy for my website users I have the CGI:IRC client embedded in my page. It all works fine but when the client closes the browser window the user remains in the chat room. Pinging this “dead client” gets no response.

I have read up on pingfreq but this seem to be a way of keeping a client alive rather than checking for a dead connection. Can anyone point out what I've overlooked or recommend a method for clearing out these disconnected clients?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that pingfreq is set to 30 and the ghost client DOES eventually time out, it just takes several minutes.
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Disconnected users do not leave chat room

Post by Stealth »

My first suggestion would be to ditch CGI:IRC and go with a more modern and actively developed web portal, such as Kiwi IRC, qwebirc, or LightIRC.

My next suggestion would be to create a class for users you are expecting to be connecting through the web client (using a combination of allow and class blocks) with a lower pingfreq. This will ping those clients more often and lessen the time they are sitting around on your server before being forced off.
ilusnst

Re: Disconnected users do not leave chat room

Post by ilusnst »

Right! I'll research the three portals you've suggested and closely read the manual on allow and class blocks.

Thanks for your help!