Unreal3.2.10.1 rehash doesn't work, says no such process

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
tigerlily

Unreal3.2.10.1 rehash doesn't work, says no such process

Post by tigerlily »

when i run ./unreal rehash, i get the following error:
Rehashing UnrealIRCd
./unreal: 43: kill: No such process
the thing is, my irc server is up and running. ./unreal start worked fine. i need to update my o-line and rehash isn't working so i'm a bit stuck right now. i'm willing to restart my ircd but i need to figure out a solution first. when i type ps aux, the only unreal-related process listed is /src/ircd - from the name i'm assuming that's the ircd. :P what gives? did i screw the configuration up?

thanks!

edit: i also checked the directories in ./Config. they are correct.

edit2: also tried changing ircd.pid to reflect the pid associated with the /src/ircd process. then i get "operation not permitted."
katsklaw

Re: Unreal3.2.10.1 rehash doesn't work, says no such process

Post by katsklaw »

No, you most likely didn't mess anything up, sometimes pids go stale for various reasons. Do ps aux again and kill -HUP pid where 'pid' is the pid listed in the ps aux output.

scott 18410 2.0 0.6 502376 24276 ? Sl 04:21 0:00 /src/ircd

On most Linux systems, the pid is the number I colored in red. In this example it would be kill -HUP 18410. The -HUP switch is for SIGHUP, it's what the unreal script does to to "rehash" the ircd. In the simplest terms, SIGHUP forces a process to re-read it's config file which is exactly what a rehash is.

For more information on kill switches, type: man kill on your shell.
tigerlily

Re: Unreal3.2.10.1 rehash doesn't work, says no such process

Post by tigerlily »

katsklaw, you are a Godsend. thank you so much, that fixed the problem right up without me having to restart the ircd.