Ping timeouts every 10 mins or so

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
tigerlily

Ping timeouts every 10 mins or so

Post by tigerlily »

I know ping timeouts are common with IRC, and there's no way to prevent them entirely. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to reduce their frequency. I believe I have ping frequency set to 180 at the moment. I recently upgraded to a better server, which made them happen less, but it's odd to me that it happens about every 10 minutes. Another oddity is that it happens to my husband while my connection is fine, although we share one. Could it be the way I've set up my config file? Just hoping there's some other option out there I have not yet explored! Thanks.
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Ping timeouts every 10 mins or so

Post by Stealth »

You should consider setting something lower. 180 means users will be disconnected after not hearing from them in 6 minutes and 1 second, which is a very long time. I would suggest trying 60-90 seconds and see if the results change.
tigerlily

Post by tigerlily »

Thanks, Stealth. 180 worked better than the other ones on my old server, but it looks like 90 is doing much better on this one. The ping timeouts have slowed but now I'm getting more "input/output error" messages. Is this simply a result of people using crappy clients? My IRCd is on a VPS, but the odd thing is that I don't seem to be affected by these disconnections.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Input/Output errors commonly happen on IRC when a client forcibly closes an SSL connection without waiting for acknowledgement, such as sending a QUIT and then closing the connection immediately. Otherwise, SSL connections display the same errors as plain connections like "connection reset by peer" and "broken pipe"