unknown connections

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
blackturbo

unknown connections

Post by blackturbo »

Hi all, first of all, nice to meet everyone.

Ive been a IRC user since it has been out, and before that, ran a BBS in 1989-1992 . I have read all the manuals, spent hours researching online, trying different things to my unreal config,etc.

I still cannot find my answer.

I run a GTA san andreas multiplayer gaming servers and have multiple bots connecting to my home unreal irc server. the bots echo server chat from the gaming server to my home irc server. they run for a few hours then time out, . and on the GTA servers, the irc log shows its giving too many unknown connections.

All I wanna know is, how to disable the unknown connections. I dont really care about unknown connections, as its a small home irc network, running windows XP. Ive tried everything, made the connections per IP 50. I need to disable something so these bots can stay connected. Anyone can help me please? thanks..

Mark
katsklaw

Re: unknown connections

Post by katsklaw »

Unknown connections cannot be prevented or controlled from an administrative point of view, this is why you can't find any setting to change. Unknown connections go hand in hand with IRC and are essentially harmless. However, you can run an opered bot and have it issue the /CLOSE command on a timer and it will close all unknown connections.
blackturbo

Post by blackturbo »

yes but if i do that, will it allow the bots to rejoin? the problem is, once the GTA servers are started, and the bots connect. they will stay for 4-6 hours, then leave. then the irc log (on the game server) shows too many unknown connections. and they will not come back till the game servers restart, which they restart every 12 hours. Would they stay connected if I gave the bots OP when they joined? thanks for your help!

mark
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

First of all, the 'too many unknown connections' error only affects new connections, not any existing connections.
What the error means is that - at that point in time - there are too many incoming connections from that IP that have not yet 'fully connected' (USER/NICK not yet processed) and any new connections from that IP are rejected. Just so you know: it may take a few seconds for a user to fully connect due to DNS lookups, ident lookups, network delay, etc... this is all normal.
This limit is controlled by include/config.h MAXUNKNOWNCONNECTIONSPERIP and defaults to 3, which should be fine.
It can only be a problem if all bots (re)connect at the same time, if there are more than 3 trying to connect at the same time then you will see this error (note that the first 3 will get through). Normally harmless, as a client will retry in a few seconds and this few seconds later the first 3 are probably fully connected so the next 3 can try...

You say the bots timeout after a few hours? sounds more like that's your problem. Bots should be coded automatically reconnect and should detect a dead connection (eg: if no traffic from the server is seen for xyz seconds.. possibly actively check this by a privmsg to yourself). If you fix that, then after a problem they will come back online soon.
The timeout itself may be an indication of not properly replying to a server PING (you must always PONG back), or a network problem.

Hope it helps.
blackturbo

Post by blackturbo »

Ok thanks for all your help, its all making sense to me now how it works. your advice is like gold to me :)