Unreal motd problems with format

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
LiquidSmoke

Unreal motd problems with format

Post by LiquidSmoke »

I'm having an issue with the unreal MOTD, The current ASCII image I have placed has a problem on certain clients, when used on mIRC, the message shows perfect but when viewed on any other clients such a XChat it comes up incredibly skewed. I believe it may have something to do with the font the image was written in? I've tried multiple images as tests, everything comes out badly skewed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LiquidSmoke. :?:
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Unreal motd problems with format

Post by Stealth »

When using ASCII in the MOTD, the client must be using the same "font family" that the ASCII was originally drawn in. Most ASCII art is done with a monospace font, meaning every character has the same exact spacing on the screen. Many modern clients use a variable-space font (like Ariel or a Serif), which means the characters in the drawing will no longer line up. mIRC is one of the few "modern" clients that still uses a monospace font out-of-the-box.

From a server-side, there is no way to force the clients to display the MOTD in any particular fashion. My recommendation would be to just not use ASCII art in the MOTD.