Authenticating Against Web Site Database?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Miggl

Authenticating Against Web Site Database?

Post by Miggl »

Hi everyone,

Please excuse me if this has been asked before, and please bear with me as I am completely green in regards to setting up an IRC server. My goal is the following:

- Allow only users that have registered on our web site to connect to our server
- Have one chat room as an exception that is publicly accessible, our lobby so to speak
- if possible automatically register our website users with nickserv (the registration form asks for their IRC nick as well as email)

I have the users' passwords stored in a hashed form in our web site database, and it does not use MD5 or SHAW, but a form of BCrypt (if I'm not mistaken), and we want to avoid having user password stored plain-text anywhere on the server, of course.

Any thoughts on how to best approach this?
Thanks for your thoughts!
~Mike
Miggl

Re: Authenticating Against Web Site Database?

Post by Miggl »

I'm not opposed to thinking-outside-of-the-box solutions, i.e. having the web site create configuration files for UnrealIRCd to read.
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

I'm affraid it's a services feature, not an ircd one.
Miggl

Post by Miggl »

Thanks for the advice. Where would the best place be to start looking at services? Any pointers welcome. :)
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Hi Mike,
Miggl wrote:- Allow only users that have registered on our web site to connect to our server
- Have one chat room as an exception that is publicly accessible, our lobby so to speak
- if possible automatically register our website users with nickserv (the registration form asks for their IRC nick as well as email)

I have the users' passwords stored in a hashed form in our web site database, and it does not use MD5 or SHAW, but a form of BCrypt (if I'm not mistaken), and we want to avoid having user password stored plain-text anywhere on the server, of course.
This is pretty much what my SQLMod-II system does. It allows you to use your own website/CMS and will register the users on services. The password they have on the website/CMS will always be used by services as well (so even if they change it later..).

Finally, SQLMod-II can run in "non-mandatory" mode where it will still allow unregistered users in.