how do I log channels

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
zillabunny

how do I log channels

Post by zillabunny »

I am trying to setup logging for chatting in channels, I don't see a way to do this in the config am I missing something?
cheiron

Re: how do I log channels

Post by cheiron »

logging channels is only done by your client ie mirc as a personal setting for channels that you are in.

logging all chat in channels using a server daemon or services is highly unethical and you will not get a module anywhere. there is a module Logchan on anope which does the following but that will be about all you can do.
Original: An extension to core Anope logging for the services channel. This module currently logs:
General
- Joins
- Parts
- Kicks
- Topic Changes
- Restart/Shutdown (Of Anope)
- Usage of /away (to log when a user goes away and returns)
- DefCon level changes
BotServ
- Usage of /bs add and /bs del
- Usage of /bs assign and /bs unassign
Modes
- Logging of user modes
zillabunny

Post by zillabunny »

Do you know of any bots that can sit in the channel and perhaps send the last 15-20 chat lines to users joining it then?

maybe IRC isnt' the correct software we're looking for a persistant chat?
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

I don't know of any bot that will re-send the last bit of conversation to users joining, but this is something that shouldn't be too hard to create. IRC has been around for a very long time, and there are many pieces of software out there. Some of these software pieces may do what you want. Some will be bots, some will be servers, and some may even be services.

UnrealIRCd does not have an option to log conversations, public or private. Conversation logging is something the UnrealIRCd does not support because it may be considered an invasion of user privacy, and many laws in different states/provinces/countries forbid logging online conversations at a server level.
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

It's quite simple to do with an eggdrop, if the log channel feature is enabled and well configured.
But I see some potential troubles:
- eggdrop logs in logfile with a few delay (up to 5 minutes) so you may lose some last lines,
- having an automatic send of the 15/20 last lines on join might be boring, it's better to have a manual command,
- logfiles could be really large, and this kind of script could use a lot of memory.