IRC to be configured on port 80

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
srk

IRC to be configured on port 80

Post by srk »

Hi

I installed and was using the unrealirc setup on port 6667.
Now i have to make it work on port 80 as i donto have any ports open from my office.

Tried configuring apache as reverse proxy to configure but was getting errors like "INTERNAL SERVER ERROR" and "GET REQUEST NOT SUPPORTED" ...

Can someone please help me out.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: IRC to be configured on port 80

Post by Syzop »

If you want to work around such restrictions then I suggest to use port 443. It's officially for HTTPS and so is "always" permitted, and requests are not intercepted/modified by transparent proxies.
Of course this assumes 443 is not in use for anything else on that machine (apache may not be using it).

This is the recommended method to have the IRCd listen on ports below 1024. On the IRC box:
1. Enable IP forwarding if not enabled already (add net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 to your /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot or run the command 'sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1' to enable it right away)
2. Create the following firewall rule to redirect traffic from port 443 to port 6667

Code: Select all

iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-port 6667
srk

Post by srk »

:irc.xxxx.com NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname...
:irc.xxxx.com NOTICE AUTH :*** Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead
ERROR :Closing Link: [xx.xx.xx.xx] (HTTP command from IRC connection (ATTACK?))

Am getting the above error after configuring it in port 80 and try to access via browser or curl.
Did i miss anything ?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Why are you trying to access an IRC server via a browser or curl? Use an IRC client.
srk

Post by srk »

Only web ports are open in my office.
So have options for 80/443 only.

Just configured reverseproxy --> qwebirc--> unrealircd
Works fine if dont use ssl at unrealircd end
And could not find any errors in logs aswell
srk

Post by srk »

have a requirement that only admin users(with authentication) can create channels, rest users can login without password
how to achieve this