Combining +i and +k channel modes

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
ossii

Combining +i and +k channel modes

Post by ossii »

Is this not possible? Any workaround to accomplish this?
I want to avoid people inviting wrong nicks by mistake with the 2nd layer of "security" by a channel key.
katsklaw

Re: Combining +i and +k channel modes

Post by katsklaw »

+i and +k are mutually exclusive as they are not designed to work together.

Perhaps you would be better off with Invex instead? Channel mode +I (capital i). The syntax works just like channel bans;

Example:

Code: Select all

/mode #channel +I user@host
Just as with adding bans, invex is stored in a list and anyone on the list is allowed to join without being invited.

As far as worrying about others adding the wrong user, that's a trust issue. Only grant +o to users you implicitly trust.

To configure:

1. set chanmode +i
2. Add invite exceptions.
3. Drink coffee
ossii

Post by ossii »

We have a bot in channel that handles the invites via another system, so users might think they have their usual ircnick when they do the invite, but might have gotten theire nick taken by someone else.
Combining +i and +k solves this potential security issue (as done on EFnet/LinkNet servers).

Or if for whatever reason we're doing some maintance and only want certain people in the chan for beta testing.
Set a temp key so even invite comes via the backend system, they cant join unless they have gotten the temp key from an @.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

ossii wrote:We have a bot in channel that handles the invites via another system, so users might think they have their usual ircnick when they do the invite, but might have gotten theire nick taken by someone else.
Combining +i and +k solves this potential security issue (as done on EFnet/LinkNet servers).

Or if for whatever reason we're doing some maintance and only want certain people in the chan for beta testing.
Set a temp key so even invite comes via the backend system, they cant join unless they have gotten the temp key from an @.
Adding: /mode #Channel +I *!*d0rkn3ss@*.ks.ks.cox.net is easier to maintain and makes the issue of ircnick ownership or usage a moot point and thus, there is no security issue .. there is no additional maintenance like remembering/asking for/distributing channel keys or anything else. The mask is added, matching users join as if there was no +i on the channel. It's plain, simple, easy to maintain and newbie friendly.