The 'Ol [IRCd seemingly not started] Error

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
dedl0x

The 'Ol [IRCd seemingly not started] Error

Post by dedl0x »

I'm new to UnrealIRCd, but from my own research, this is a common error. I'm attempting to host a server on my Linux machine so that my friends may use my external IP to join it. I do not have a domain, so many of the online tutorials have been rather ineffective. I'm using the 'example.conf' supplied with UnrealIRCd, and I've tailored it to my needs. I can't seem to get the server to start locally. Because it's obligatory, here's what I'm working with:

http://pastebin.com/2B95R6qu

I'm doing something wrong here that I can't see, but hopefully some of you can. Also, my log is not collecting any data, though it is named 'ircd.log' and is in the same folder as the 'unreal' program.
katsklaw

Re: The 'Ol [IRCd seemingly not started] Error

Post by katsklaw »

Code: Select all

me
{
        name "192.168.0.33"; /* my LAN IP */
        info "newNET";
        numeric 1;
};
me::name asks for a NAME, not an IP.

admin {
        "Admin Person";
};
Read the example right above in the comment .. that's what comments are for ya know.

Also read the NOTE, just below the listen block, it has important information that pertains to you.

tld {
        mask *@*.conf;
        motd "motd.conf";
        rules "rules.conf";
};
This also does not follow the example given in the comments just above the tld block. Please READ it.

Your set::block is completely jaxed, again READ the example.

In closing, you are trying too hard to get something started too quickly, slow down and actually READ the instructions.