Max Clients concern

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Landslyde

Max Clients concern

Post by Landslyde »

I just got this Notice and don't really understand it: *** Notice -- Maximum connections: 10 (9 clients)

My little network is new, but I've had a higher count than 10 on it. Will someone please tell me what this setting means: maxclients 10;

Don't beat me up guys; I'm just trying to learn. Thanks.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: Max Clients concern

Post by Syzop »

It's a confusing message indeed. It just means you have a "new record". So it's not a restriction, but a new record.
In this case 10 connections (of which 9 are users, other one could be a server or something pending).
UnrealIRCd will send that message for each 10, so 10 connections, 20 connections, etc...

In 3.4.x we already changed the message :)

As for maxclients in your configuration file, in your class block. This limits the number of users (or servers) in that class block.
Usually you have a class block 'users' which has a high maxclients of like 500, 1000, 2000, whatever... and you have a 'servers' class with a low maxclients of like 10. The 'clients' class block is normally used for clients (persons, etc) and 'servers' is used for servers. So if you see the 10 in your servers class block it's probably completely unrelated to the message you were seeing, except that they just both happen to be 10.
Landslyde

Re: Max Clients concern

Post by Landslyde »

Syzop:

Thanks for explaining that to me. At least you made it make sense to me :) And many thanks to you and all the others for your efforts in UnrealIRCd. It's excellent!