newbie - how to setup and create a IRC server?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
lance_dixxx

newbie - how to setup and create a IRC server?

Post by lance_dixxx »

oh right i have a big network on my work.. and is protected by a firewall and stuff.. BUT i want to create a mirc server on my computer for my friends. like 20 users (max). BUT i want a complete serverr (with services and bots to give access and stuff) i was trying with something called "join me" but it was soo stupìd. then i try with "le server" a frensh script to create a mirc server. it was kinda kool but too hard to configure and wont include a bot server. So... i need a server, and services... all of them i want a complete one.
All the computers are running winxp including the one that is going to be s server. using the previus stuff that i mention ppl is able to connect to my computer so.. it's kinda working. what are the recomendations... i know just a little bit of this... c'mon.. what do i need to do? or get?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

I suggest that you read the manual and FAQ (links to both are in my sig) to find out how to install and setup UnrealIRCd. As for services, I've got a Win32 build of IRCServices - unfortunately, my web server is down so I can't give it to you yet.
Solutech

Post by Solutech »

Without wanting to put you off here . Are you sure you want to run an irc server . Unreal isnt an install and go solution . It will require you to read the manuals , faq's etc before you get it running . Then you have to sort out a services package . Its quite a bit of work .

There are commercial applications like chatspace that you can buy that will more or less set up and go or you can go down the hosted route if you want to pay monthly for your server . If you want to give unreal a spin then do the legwork and read the docs .

The config file can look very daunting at first glance through . The best advice I can give with the config is have the docs open as you go through the config line by line .

If you install on windows make sure you DONT install as a service . That way you get a GUI that helps a lot . Once your confident the config is right . Fire it up .

Any errors will show on startup and the error message tells you what line in the config is at fault (quick hint sometimes it can be a line or two up ;) ) . Use the gui's config editor and the goto line function to fix the problem .

Errors are usually to do with syntax . One ";" wrong can generate several errors so always tackle errors from the first one down . Once an error is corrected rehash as correcting that may well of fixed the rest .

Best of luck with unreal . Its not as daunting as it looks :D And dont be afraid to ask if you get stuck .
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Webserver back up, so you can grab my Win32 IRCServices build here.
lance_dixxx

Post by lance_dixxx »

hmmm... interesting...
so.. don't let unreal run as a service... i see... hmm....
let see what happen... i will come back later with more questions.. that is for sure...
but yes.. i want to setup a irc server for my friends... maybe.. i will link my computer with a real server or something.. but for now.. i just want to chat and share files with my friends at work
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

First off, there is no such thing as an "mirc server." mIRC is one of many IRC clients. Unreal is an IRC server, not an mIRC server.

Second, Unreal doesn't include services or bots either. They are separate programs.

Anyway, as everyone said, Unreal isn't something you learn in 5 minutes. It takes quite a bit of time to learn to run an IRC network, so unless you're prepared to put in a lot of time, you might be better off just creating a channel for your friends on an existing server.
-- codemastr
jewles

Post by jewles »

a long long long time
FBSD-DEV Project
http://www.fbsd-dev.org

YatesDev Hosting
http://www.yatesdev.com

The Wrong Way
http://www.thewrongway.net