chatnow CR Java Client

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
BABA

chatnow CR Java Client

Post by BABA »

New Version CR Java Chatnow Themes Support

http://irc.bolsohbet.com/k/java/2.html

Not Join My irc Server Port 7000

Unrealircd.conf Port Option
listen 207.44.209.118:7000
{
options
{
java;
};
};
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

I guess they made it so it no longer works with our kludge. Frankly though, with so many good free java chats available, I don't know why we still maintain support for CR.
-- codemastr
v00d00

Post by v00d00 »

*nod* After talking about the Java support before, I switched to pjIRC. Although it doesn't look like it's supported anymore (web page gone, project pages gone, etc), I still have the v2.0.0 source + binary zips.
codemastr

Post by codemastr »

Hmm, seems you're right, the site is down, I'll look into what's going on. From what I know, no PJIRC is not dead. And also, the reason the project page is gone is because freshmeat auto detects that the site is down and hides the project.
-- codemastr
codemastr

Post by codemastr »

I just heard back from the PJIRC author. He said, it seems whoever it was that was in charge of the website forgot to reregister it. He said he is working on solving the problem. So no, PJIRC is not gone :)
-- codemastr
DeMiNe0

Post by DeMiNe0 »

hmm what does the java option do in the port block anyway? I never got that.
Brad

Post by Brad »

DeMiNe0 wrote:hmm what does the java option do in the port block anyway? I never got that.
To my understanding it changes a few server responses to make ConferenceRoom's (a super expensive propritary IRCd/Services/JavaClient that ranges from about $1000 for ChanServ/NickServ 1000 clients, to about $4000 (I think) that includes MemoServ/OperServ, 10,000 clients, and few other features) java client think it's connecting to a CR server. If it thinks it's connecting to a non-CR server, won't connect.

It's got a really nice java client (especially when you compare it to eIRC), and it's IRCd/Services package is very nice too, but hardly worth the money. Some companies get suckered in though, since it is easier to set up, and they think it'll be better just cause it costs a lot.
codemastr

Post by codemastr »

If CR has made it so it will no longer connect to Unreal, then the java option probably won't be around much longer. Like I said, there are now a bunch of freely available applets out there. PJIRC, in my mind, is much better than CR. First of all, it is completely open source. Second, it supports plugins so you can download new features that others have written. Third, it is fully themeable. Fourth, it is totally free.

Why would you use CR when you can get one that is just as good, if not better, and is free?
-- codemastr
DeMiNe0

Post by DeMiNe0 »

Ah, i see. Ya i've been using pjirc on all of my sites for some time now.