No Gline/banned email address?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Plasma

No Gline/banned email address?

Post by Plasma »

Why is it there is a kline email info address to send support "why was I banned" questions to (which a connecting banned user receives on connecting to the network, along with their reason), yet gline bans have no option to show the user a bunch of info or email address to contact in the event they have no idea why they are banned (or are caught in a ban mask etc).

Am I missing something?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

This is what I think...

K-Lines are usually put in place to route people to a more appropriate server, hence the e-mail address should be provided to enquire about the K-Line, and to find out which server should be used. Your glines (aka AKILLs if you use Services) are common to every server on the network and are usually used to deal with individuals who you don't want on your network, not now, not ever. So providing an e-mail address to these people would be pointless (although accidentally glines users may not approve of this though).
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

One net I was on, I had an IP change and stumbled on a fun AKILL, and IIRC they did mention the contact address.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Well I'm not against such a suggestion (but this isn't the place to make suggestions). The thing is though, if we add this, there are going to be other suggestions as well. Like the DALnet "akill id" feature. Because glines are global, their management is often more difficult than klines. Meaning, for BOPM, BOPM already has a feature to redirect users to a website for akill information. For one network I was a part of, I used this to create a nice frontend for the user to get information about the ban. So BOPM adds on a "visit http://blah/?ip=123.123.123.123" then we tack on another "for help email [email protected]." That might confuse people. Do I go to the website, or do I email that address? Same for AKILLs. Some services provide an akill id feature. Again, I used this to create a website frontend that would tell the user who set the ban, why, and who to contact to have it removed. So if it told them to go to that website, then told them to email someone, that might be confusing. It might also confuse people if the gline emails are not the same on all servers, etc. It mainly hasn't been added because gline management is often more complex than klines.
-- codemastr
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

It shouldnt be hard to tack on a 'GLINE INFO TEXT' variable to the config, surely?

If anything add this to the config, if your worried about consistances between servers, well, thats their problem.

With an info line atleast I can customize the ban message and indicate if you have problems please email [email protected]
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

I just remembered. In some services packages, you can have a block of text that automatically gets placed into every AKILL reason (if you use IRCServices, it's the AutokillReason directive). You could use this feature to put in an e-mail address.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Plasma, you completely ignored my comments about other things already adding addresses on. Just like Ron2k pointed out, IRC Services can add a string of text already. Having 2 emails will just confuse people.
-- codemastr
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

Yeah I did read it, I could not find anything like that for Anope however.

Just seems silly to not include a standard response you can give (a line of text) for a gline as you would for a kline etc.