weird error when i try to start latest unreal on linux

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
user_invalid

weird error when i try to start latest unreal on linux

Post by user_invalid »

hey there on a linux box i did ./Config and configged it all editted unrealircd.conf then i did make, and get no errors.
however when i type ./unreal i got these errors

* Loading IRCd configuration ..
* unrealircd.conf:33: Ignoring extra data
* unrealircd.conf:350: Ignoring extra data
* unrealircd.conf:34: loadmodule /src/modules/cloak.so: failed to load: tmp/BE765151.cloak.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[error] IRCd configuration failed to load
Possible error encountered (IRCd seemily not started)

How can i fix this?
thanks
shell

Post by shell »

for the "Ignoring extra data" check the lines it's complaining about!

When it asks "What should the default permissions for your configuration files be?" in the ./Config try stating 0700 instead, I had this problem and that fixed it :)
aquanight
Official supporter

Re: weird error when i try to start latest unreal on linux

Post by aquanight »

user_invalid wrote:* unrealircd.conf:34: loadmodule /src/modules/cloak.so: failed to load: tmp/BE765151.cloak.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I see a slight problem in that path. In your shell, type ls /src/modules/cloak.so and tell me if that returns an error. Most likely it will. Why? The leading / tells the filesystem to start looking at the top of the directory tree, and right away it doesn't find a src folder underneath that. Remove that / so that it will look in the Unreal folder for the file, which it should find there...
user_invalid

Post by user_invalid »

Thanks for your replies.
I tried both you suggestions using 0700 instead of 0600 for permisions and removing the / in the config but i get the same, similar error

* unrealircd.conf:34: loadmodule src/modules/cloak.so: failed to load: tmp/CB3BFC9A.cloak.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Arg!!
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

Now that's really weird, except if you've done something with either the /src or the src/modules subdirectory. Could you please tell us how you installed Unreal? For instance, have you used "make install" or have you in any way moved files out of the Unreal3.2 directory manually after compilation? Have you removed the "src" directory or not?

Perhaps try a full reinstall, but set the ircd path to the same directory where you run ./Config, and keep the entire directory as is.

One more thing: be careful when answering the second ./Config question. Whatever you type there will be used in relative paths in configuration. For example, if you specify /home/user/Unreal3.2, what the loadmodule line above will do is load /home/user/Unreal3.2/src/modules/cloak.so (as aquanight said).
user_invalid

Post by user_invalid »

I havent modified or moved either the /src or the src/modules subdirectories. I installed Unreal by editing the unrealircd.conf then doing ./Config and then make then i did ./unreal start. When I tried make install i got this error though..

/usr/bin/install -m 0700 -d /home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2
/usr/bin/install -m 0700 src/ircd /home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/src/ircd
/usr/bin/install: `src/ircd' and `/home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/src/ircd' are the same file
make: *** [install] Error 1

But back to the original problem, i havent removed the src directory and everything is there. For the second question i used the default option..
What directory are all the server configuration files in?
[/home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2]
Was this corect to do? /home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/src/modules/cloak.so does exist, so i couldn't originally see any problem with that.
Hope you can hep me remedy this annoying situation!
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

Oh, I see now. Almost good, but give the following answers to the second and third ./Config questions:

Code: Select all

/home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2
What is the path to the ircd binary including the name of the binary?
/home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/ircd
Now "make install" won't generate an error, however, of course, it won't either give you an "src" subdirectory (actually there's absolutely no way to have it installed with "make install", by the way). All module binaries will go to /home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/modules, so they can be loaded like this:

loadmodule "modules/cloak.so";
But still, you'd better keep the source code and not do "make install" so later you can use 3rd party modules if you want, and if a crash happens, you can use gdb with the source code to do debugging. Additionally, there's a known problem with "make install" that it doesn't copy *.pem files to the installation directory, you must install them manually in case you have enabled SSL support.
user_invalid

Post by user_invalid »

This is getting rather annoying... I did as you said and entered the following for ./Config

[/home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2] ->

What is the path to the ircd binary including the name of the binary?
[/home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/ircd] ->

then i did make install and got similar errors, just more of them:

/usr/bin/install -m 0700 -d /home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/networks
/usr/bin/install -m 0600 networks/*.network /home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/networks
/usr/bin/install: `networks/awesomechristians.network' and `/home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/networks/awesomechristians.network' are the same file
/usr/bin/install: `networks/axenet.network' and `/home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/networks/axenet.network' are the same file
etc. etc. etc.
make: *** [install] Error 1

So if i'm not meant to use make install... what would I do?
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

Stupid me, I didn't notice that "`src/ircd' and `/home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2/src/ircd' are the same file". I can't believe I didn't read "For the second question i used the default option.. " I must have been too tired, sorry.

So /home/jaskspask/Unreal3.2 is the same directory as where you run ./Config from. Now then I'm saying, don't do "make install", because it's completely unnecessary. "make install" was designed to move files out of the "Unreal3.2" source directory to anywhere else, but never to the same directory, because that does not make sense. Issue the following commands:

./Config -nocache
make clean
make
Accept the default path settings in the second and third question, and use the "src/modules/" relative path to load modules. It should work.
user_invalid

Post by user_invalid »

Well I did as you said and I understand the make intsall error now, but i still get the original error after I have done make clean then make, then ./unreal :
* unrealircd.conf:34: loadmodule src/modules/cloak.so: failed to load: tmp/E5CA416A.cloak.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Have you worked out what I could do to fix that problem?
Thanks for all your help btw :)
AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf »

I'll give up, sorry. :-/
w00t

Post by w00t »

I would be interested to have a look at this problem. user_invalid, is there any place I can get in contact with you?
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Go into the src/modules folder, is there a cloak.c and oldcloak.c? If not, that's probably the problem: you have a 3.2 source tree, not 3.2.1.
user_invalid

Post by user_invalid »

oldcloak.c and cloak.c are both in src/modules.
w00t, I'll hang around on irc.netronet.com for a while and try to get hold of you there. hope you can help me fix this frustrating error.
w00t

Post by w00t »

cool, i may not be around till the weekend (at your time at least) because im working quite a lot at the moment.. :/
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]