UnrealIRCd Failed to Start

If you hit any installation issues or cannot connect to your freshly installed UnrealIRCd then this forum is for you.

Moderator: Supporters

18Rte2fQz8gGf

UnrealIRCd Failed to Start

Post by 18Rte2fQz8gGf »

Hello,

After completing the configuration for a fresh installation of UnrealIRCd on OpenBSD 6.0, the "./unrealircd start" command was executed, but we were prompted with a "UnrealIRCd failed to start. Check above for possible errors." message.

There were no errors displayed above and the "ircd.log" file is empty. In the area above the error message, "Loading IRCd configuration..Abort trap (core dumped)" is displayed, but I have not been able to find information regarding the cause.

I suspect this may be caused by the 6667 port not being opened, but I am not sure if that that is the cause and I am also not sure exactly how to open that port. This is being attempted on a fresh installation of OpenBSD 6.0. I have attached a screenshot of the displayed error message. If there is no information being logged in the log file, then how should I attempt to resolve this issue?

Sorry, I am fairly new to both OpenBSD and UnrealIRCd, so simplified answers are preferred; thank you!
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: UnrealIRCd Failed to Start

Post by Syzop »

Could you run "./unrealircd start" a second time? It should prompt you to submit a crash report, that would be helpful.
Alternatively, run "./unrealircd backtrace" and report it manually on https://bugs.unrealircd.org/

Let us know.
18Rte2fQz8gGf

Post by 18Rte2fQz8gGf »

Hello,

Thank you for the response. I tried running "./unrealircd start" again but it still failed to start and no error message was show above. The log file is still empty. I ran the "./unrealircd backtrace" command and may report it to "https://bugs.unrealircd.org/" when I have time. Running that command showed some interesting text such as "in _test_alias (conf=Variable "conf" is not available".

It seems to be there is an issue with my conf file, but I am not sure where exactly. Is there a "minimalist" version of the conf file which I could use to try this deployment? I only need the most basic configurations to get the server online.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

If your still having trouble with this I will help you setup your config file for unreal and your oper configs too.

Regards,

Tiny.
18Rte2fQz8gGf

Post by 18Rte2fQz8gGf »

Tiny wrote:If your still having trouble with this I will help you setup your config file for unreal and your oper configs too.

Regards,

Tiny.
Thank you for the offer Tiny! I may reach out to you for assistance in the future regarding other configurations, but I was able to resolve the issue after working on it with Syzop. I commented out the alias section of the configuration file and rebooted my server and then the service started fine.

Thank you Syzop for you quick replies and great support!