connecting with hosts containing punycode

If you hit any installation issues or cannot connect to your freshly installed UnrealIRCd then this forum is for you.

Moderator: Supporters

HeLime

connecting with hosts containing punycode

Post by HeLime »

I am getting 'unable to resolve host' when connecting to Unrealircd with the character æ in the host; is it possible you'll add support for æøåÆØÅ in hostnames? it's Danish characters..

Thank you in advance

HeLime
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: connecting with hosts containing punycode

Post by Stealth »

Can you give us a little more information? Screehshots, copy/paste of client output, etc?
HeLime

Post by HeLime »

>Disconnected from IRC (Can't resolve bind hostname. Try /znc ClearBindHost and /znc ClearUserBindHost). Reconnecting...
æ is the character that makes it unresolvable, changing it to xn--6ca solves it. So the issue as far as I can tell is that punycode is unsupported in client host names
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

(re-post, sorry)
That isn't an UnrealIRCd error but it's coming from your client, the ZNC bouncer in this case. (It isn't even connected to UnrealIRCd yet.)
So theoretically you would have to bug the ZNC guys to add support. And you would need to have all other client developers out there add support for it too. In the meantime many users will be unable to connect to your network. It is not a recommended journey :)
Not to mention that I wouldn't be surprised if some developers would just outright refuse to add punycode support. We don't translate client hostnames (like in /WHOIS) in UnrealIRCd either, and nobody ever decided if such a thing should be done on the client- or server-side.
My advice: use a domain name without punycode, at least for IRC. Eg: register one with ae instead of æ and use that name for IRC. Use CNAME's to easy the administrative burden.
HeLime

Post by HeLime »

Oh I thought it was UnrealIRCd refusing the connection because it couldn't resolve the host - thanks for the clarification. :)

I'll rethink my plans and really appreciate your advice. :)

/HeLime