couldn't open logfile, permission denied

If you hit any installation issues or cannot connect to your freshly installed UnrealIRCd then this forum is for you.

Moderator: Supporters

Architect

couldn't open logfile, permission denied

Post by Architect »

I have just installed UnrealIRCd on an Arch Linux computer using sudo, and I have made sure none of the initial errors are triggered by editing the unrealircd.conf file accordingly, however I do get this:

Code: Select all

config error: /etc/unrealircd/unrealircd.conf:270: Couldn't open logfile (/var/log/unrealircd/ircd.log) for writing: Permission denied
My first solution was to run with sudo, but I realised that there is a security failsafe to stop Unreal running as root. My second I dea was to change the filepath for the logfile in the .conf file, but this doesn't seem to be possible.
I have gotten the program running on Windows before and I didn't get this error, and I don't really know much about UnrealIRCD so I have no idea how to fix it. If anyone could help me out with this that would be gratly appreciated!
DonTCry

Re: couldn't open logfile, permission denied

Post by DonTCry »

If you do install unrealircd as user, your path should be: /home/username/unrealircd/logs
PeGaSuS
Official supporter

Post by PeGaSuS »

Did you tried to add a new user, SSH login to that user, download the source, compile and start UnrealIRCd as that user?

I assume that you can install it as root but not start it.
IRC Network: PTirc - GitHub: TehPeGaSuS - Help and support: #unreal-support
Architect

Post by Architect »

The_Myth wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:38 am Did you tried to add a new user, SSH login to that user, download the source, compile and start UnrealIRCd as that user?

I assume that you can install it as root but not start it.
I have one user that I use, and that I run most commands with, however installing with pacman (which is what I used; did not compile any cource code) requires the use of root/sudo. Perhaps I should follow those steps above: download and compile the source code?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Yeah, just remove that package and follow https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Installing_from_source instead.
At least that's the way almost everyone runs on *NIX.