standard IRC server numeric responses?

If you hit any installation issues or cannot connect to your freshly installed UnrealIRCd then this forum is for you.

Moderator: Supporters

JerryH

standard IRC server numeric responses?

Post by JerryH »

Hi,

Just installed Unreadircd 5.0.6 on a Windows 10 pro machine, and have the following question(s):

I successfully connected via xchat from my linux machine, but when I attempt to try my own rudimentary Python written client, I get stuck in a loop and time out.
The client is connecting, but waiting for a response from the server (Unrealircd) that contains the 376 (END of MOTD) message defined by the IRC protocol, but have not seen it come across. I did create an MOTD file via the GUI configuration and rehashed all files.

When I connect, I get the following response from Unrealircd (5.0.6)

Code: Select all

:<myservername> NOTICE * :*** Looking up your hostname...
:<myservername> NOTICE * :*** Found your hostname (cached)
No MOTD, hence no 376 message that is /MOTD

Since I don't ever see the 376 message, I never send my nickname to register, and as a result I time out with this message:

ERROR :Closing Link: [70.130.78.158] (Registration Timeout)
Is there something I'm missing from my configuration? I'm using the default conf/unrealircd.conf file with my values. There is probably too much information in the file, but I chose not to delete anything, just comment out the initial values for the what I want to change and added my unique lines.
I've looked through the FAQ, but haven't found anything. I made the assumption that the MOTD would print if it was created.

Please note that this client works correctly when connecting to irc.freenode.net

jerry
JerryH

Re: standard IRC server numeric responses?

Post by JerryH »

Additional information:
mIRC and xchat2 see the MOTD and additional responses from the Unrealircd server.
My Python client is reading on the connected socket, reads the first two messages (above) and then reads nothing else.
xchat2 sees

*** Looking up your hostname...
*** Found your hostname
Capabilities supported: unrealircd.org/link-security=2 unrealircd.org/plaintext-policy=user=allow,oper=deny,server=deny extended-join chghost cap-notify userhost-in-names multi-prefix away-notify tls account-notify message-tags batch account-tag server-time echo-message labeled-response
Capabilities requested: extended-join chghost cap-notify userhost-in-names multi-prefix away-notify account-notify server-time 
Capabilities acknowledged: extended-join chghost cap-notify userhost-in-names multi-prefix away-notify account-notify server-time 
Welcome to the ExampleNET IRC Network [email protected]
Your host is <myserver>, running version UnrealIRCd-5.0.6
This server was created Wed Jul 15 20:02:03 2020
<myserver> UnrealIRCd-5.0.6 iowrsxzdHtIDZRqpWGTSB lvhopsmntikraqbeIHzMQNRTOVKDdGLPZSCcf
AWAYLEN=307 BOT=B CASEMAPPING=ascii CHANLIMIT=#:10 CHANMODES=beI,kLf,lH,psmntirzMQNRTOVKDdGPZSCc CHANNELLEN=32 CHANTYPES=# CLIENTTAGDENY=*,-draft/typing,-typing DEAF=d ELIST=MNUCT EXCEPTS EXTBAN=~,ptmTSOcarnqjf :are supported by this server
HCN INVEX KICKLEN=307 KNOCK MAP MAXCHANNELS=10 MAXLIST=b:60,e:60,I:60 MAXNICKLEN=30 MINNICKLEN=0 MODES=12 NAMESX NETWORK=ExampleNET :are supported by this server
NICKLEN=30 PREFIX=(qaohv)~&@%+ QUITLEN=307 SAFELIST SILENCE=15 STATUSMSG=~&@%+ TARGMAX=DCCALLOW:,ISON:,JOIN:,KICK:4,KILL:,LIST:,NAMES:1,NOTICE:1,PART:,PRIVMSG:4,SAJOIN:,SAPART:,TAGMSG:1,USERHOST:,USERIP:,WATCH:,WHOIS:1,WHOWAS:1 TOPICLEN=360 UHNAMES USERIP WALLCHOPS WATCH=128 :are supported by this server
WATCHOPTS=A WHOX :are supported by this server
Clk-72AD23F8.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net :is now your displayed host
 There are 1 users and 0 invisible on 1 servers
 I have 1 clients and 0 servers
 1 2 :Current local users 1, max 2
 1 1 :Current global users 1, max 1
 - <myserver> Message of the Day - 
 - 24/9/2020 14:49
 - Welcome to the <myserver name> IRC Server
 - Running UnrealIRCd on Windows 10
 - 
 - 
 End of /MOTD command.
 JerryH sets user mode(s) iwx
Do I need to login in with my /nick before getting the additional messages?

jerry
JerryH

Re: standard IRC server numeric responses?

Post by JerryH »

Ordering issue in my client.
I've now successfully connected.