fake lag

If your UnrealIRCd is up and running but you have a question about it, then use this forum.
(NOT for installation or connecting issues! Use the other forum instead.)

Moderator: Supporters

iame

fake lag

Post by iame »

I work on my own project. Where I want connect different communication protocols like CanBus, Modbus RTU/TCP, serial communication over TCP/IP and ASCII. And reason why ASCII protocol, because then can be TCP/IP client written in different programs language (C/C++, C#, VB, node.js, etc) for different OS.

This is my basic idea. For this I have server with FreeBSD 10.1 and Unrealircd-4.0.0 (previously 3.2.10.5) and work like a charm.

Both here is a little problem with speed, because irc server have a fake lag. I want disable or remove fake lag, because the communication protocols are very fast. They can send over 1000 message per second.

I found this page : http://unreal.x-tab.org/faq#nofakelag
I followed the steps, but with no efects after restart unrealircd server and reconnected clients.

Her is my unrealircd.conf file (only class and allow)

Code: Select all

class grid
{
        pingfreq 90;
        maxclients 1000;
        sendq 200k;
        recvq 8000;
        options { 
            nofakelag; 
        };
};

allow {
    ip *@*;
    class grid;  
    maxperip 50;
};
And this is screen when I start server

Code: Select all

$ ./unrealircd start
Starting UnrealIRCd
 _   _                      _ ___________  _____     _ 
| | | |                    | |_   _| ___ \/  __ \   | |
| | | |_ __  _ __ ___  __ _| | | | | |_/ /| /  \/ __| |
| | | | '_ \| '__/ _ \/ _` | | | | |    / | |    / _` |
| |_| | | | | | |  __/ (_| | |_| |_| |\ \ | \__/\ (_| |
 \___/|_| |_|_|  \___|\__,_|_|\___/\_| \_| \____/\__,_|
                           v4.0.0

using TRE 0.8.0 (BSD)
  using OpenSSL 1.0.1j-freebsd 15 Oct 2014

Loading IRCd configuration..
Configuration loaded without any problems.
Loading tunefile..
Initializing SSL..
Dynamic configuration initialized.. booting IRCd.
UnrealIRCd is now listening on the following addresses/ports:
IPv4: *:6900(SSL), *:6697(SSL), *:6667
IPv6: *:6900(SSL), *:6697(SSL), *:6667
UnrealIRCd started.
How I can see is everything ok.

I know the config file very simple and open for everyone. Because I now only testing my idea on my local network and so far is no reason for some security.

Somebody can tell me what I work wrong or for my idea irc servers is not correct choice.

Thanks, best regards
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: fake lag

Post by Syzop »

I always find it interesting how people use IRC for a variety of things (you're not the only one :D).

Anyway, I tested a burst of 1000 messages and they all got delivered within 1 second. So it seems to work fine here.
1) How did you test this?
2) How did you conclude it's not working. What are you seeing / experiencing exactly?
iame

Post by iame »

First, I tested without any change in to file "include/config.h" and with my program (written in C#) and HexChat on windows and os x. And was lag on 1 second. This was reason for search how fix this lag and result was link (from previously post).

After change in to file "include/config.h" and compiling again. I was testing only with HexChat without my program (because I was thinking it is problem in my program). And still was a fake lag (send short random message).

A few hour ago (after sending post), I get flash, "What happen, if I start my program now after compiling?" and result is receiving messages without fake lag.

But If is my thinking correct. Then they have programs like mIRC, X-Char, HexChat fake lag for sending message?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Ok I understand you. So it's working well now.
Many IRC Clients have their own throttling of messages (they limit sending X messages per Y time). They do this to prevent Excess flood, a situation where they send too many lines and then get disconnected by the IRC server due to flooding. You'd have to check the client documentation to see how to turn it off.