allowed-nickchars seems to not be working

If your UnrealIRCd is up and running but you have a question about it, then use this forum.
(NOT for installation or connecting issues! Use the other forum instead.)

Moderator: Supporters

fdmfdm

allowed-nickchars seems to not be working

Post by fdmfdm »

set { allowed-nickchars { windows-1251; }; };

with that in my unrealircd.conf file i tried changing my name to я but it gave me the usualy response for the use of invalid characters.
did I do something wrong or is this a bug?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: allowed-nickchars seems to not be working

Post by Syzop »

Could it be that you're not using windows codepage 1251, but one of the other codepages, or utf8? That would explain.
fdmfdm

Post by fdmfdm »

I tried copying the symbols from several sites, including http://www.science.co.il/Language/Chara ... ?page=1251 who specificly sets the charset to windows-1251 so it should not be the symbols

I also tried
set {
allowed-nickchars { latin1; };
};
and writing ÆØØÆ as name, which gave me the same issue,
(that was just using the keyboard with danish as the language on windows 8.1)

every language i tried gave me the same result (and rehashing or restarting does not change the results either)
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

It's likely your IRC client. For example in mIRC there is in mIRC options (ALT + O): IRC -> Messages -> [x] UTF-8 encode/decode messages. If you have it checked ([x]) then it will not work, if you uncheck it ([ ]) then you can use your ÆØØÆ example.

Similar UTF8 settings are in other IRC clients (and putty and...).

PS: Note that I'm not saying UTF8 is bad. Just that it's not supported in UnrealIRCd international nick names at the moment and many IRC clients "silently" convert stuff to UTF8.