How to setup rights in unrealircd as I want?

If your UnrealIRCd is up and running but you have a question about it, then use this forum.
(NOT for installation or connecting issues! Use the other forum instead.)

Moderator: Supporters

newbie_banana

How to setup rights in unrealircd as I want?

Post by newbie_banana »

Hello,

I'm using unrealircd 4.0.17 on my Kali Linux XFCE. The server is working fine but each client which is joining got kick-power etc.. I want that they're only able to join an channel, write, receive message, use /whois...only a usual client ^_^.
The next problem:
I try to login with hexchat as the defined oper with my name but it doesent work! I don't get oper rights :/...I tried to define with an allow block that my ip needs another password as usual clients...and prayed that I get oper rights...nothing happened :/
It's really annoying and frustrating because I try to setup client rights and oper rights since 3 days...without any success :/
My destinations are:
-Building an registration function after the default server login
-Oper rights for me
-Clients are only able to join a channel and write and read messages
Please help me! I'm not looking right now -.-

Best regards newbie_banana.
newbie_banana

Re: How to setup rights in unrealircd as I want?

Post by newbie_banana »

Hello,

it's the noob again -.- ... I'm sorry for you if you wasted your time on my thread...I fixed the problem...It looked like that I'm not allowed to use backslashes in the oper-password or this "ä ö ü"...a bit weird but ok. I fixed it...I'm sorry stupid question...you can close this thread.

Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I can see how your /OPER block may not work indeed with those characters. That has to do with the different character encoding (UTF8 vs latin1). Technical stuff, but yeah: best to avoid those characters and stick to normal (latin) letters and numbers. I've updated the documentation.

You also had a first question, regarding restricting normal user rights (not ircops) so they cannot kick and such:
Users can kick and do other tasks if they are "channel operator". They receive channel operator when they are the first to join a channel. I really hope you already know that, as we really don't recommend setting up a server if you don't know IRC basics (sorry for being blunt :D).
Anyway, you can use https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Set_blo ... el-on-join to make it so users don't get channel operator status when they are the first to join a channel. Note that this would be unusual and most users won't be too happy by this. But it's possible, the option is there.

If you have a lot of generic newb IRC questions you may be better off teaming up with someone that can help you explain IRC and IRC servers.
Of course, you can always post on this forum or ask on IRC support. Just saying if questions "are very n00b" then often users are less inclined to help because you should learn a bit more about IRC first.
newbie_banana

Post by newbie_banana »

Hello,

thank you :D for the answer!