How to setup domain?

If your UnrealIRCd is up and running but you have a question about it, then use this forum.
(NOT for installation or connecting issues! Use the other forum instead.)

Moderator: Supporters

newbie_banana

How to setup domain?

Post by newbie_banana »

Hello,

I read this topic on forum before: viewtopic.php?t=6579
but it didn't give me a complete answer.

My unrealircd4.0.17 is running at my home on an PI3. I have now rented a domain so everyone can join my Unrealircd. Now I have one problem:
How do I configure the dns record correctly that my unrealircd can't connect to my dns because I get this error message?:
Error binding stream socket to IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 6697 - :Cannot assign requested address
Failed to bind to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:6697
IRCd could not listen on any ports. If you see 'Address already in use' errors above then most likely the IRCd is already running (or something else is using the specified port). If you are sure the IRCd is not running then verify your listen blocks, maybe you have to bind to a specific IP rater than "*".
==================================================
UnrealIRCd failed to start Check above for possible errors.

Can someone of you give me an extra link to the different types because I don't know what to search for.
rcschaff

Re: How to setup domain?

Post by rcschaff »

Your A record should be pointed to the ip in question.

Ex:
Host Type Destination
irc A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
@ A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

However the error you are getting, is starting up the server. Your Unreal is already running, or something else is running on port 6697.
Gottem
UnrealIRCd coder

Re: How to setup domain?

Post by Gottem »

Error binding stream socket to IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 6697 - :Cannot assign requested address
Your server isn't aware of your public IP address thanks to NAT so you can't bind to it. Simply listen on the local interface (very likely something like 192.168.x.y) or just * and forward the needed port(s) in your router.

Also, here's a link about DNS record types: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DNS_record_types
If you like my modules, pls consider donating (credit card or iDEAL, use the custom job fee option in my shop) ;];]