Logging who PMs who

If your UnrealIRCd is up and running but you have a question about it, then use this forum.
(NOT for installation or connecting issues! Use the other forum instead.)

Moderator: Supporters

Shdwdrgn

Logging who PMs who

Post by Shdwdrgn »

A little different take on the subject, I don't care about what was said in private messages, but I would like to know if there is a way to log when someone sends a private message to someone else. Specifically I need to know who initiated the conversation and who they sent it to.

Our chat server has a strict rule against initiating a PM with someone unless they have publicly asked first in the main room. There have been cases where someone has been accused of breaking this rule (which can be grounds for banning) but claim they never did such a thing. OK I can see both sides issue -- one could be lying to save their skin, the other could be lying to get someone in trouble -- but having a log of who initiated the PM would help us determine the culprit.

So I'm just wondering if there are any mods available that could perform this function? FWIW we are currently running 3.2, but an upgrade to 4.2 could be performed if required.

Thanks.
PeGaSuS
Official supporter

Re: Logging who PMs who

Post by PeGaSuS »

That request falls into the kind of unethical requests.
Although you don't want to know what the users say, you want to know who PM'd who and that's already a privacy invasion.
No admin should be able to have that kind of control over their users.
IRC Network: PTirc - GitHub: TehPeGaSuS - Help and support: #unreal-support
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I'm not aware of any module that does this. You could ask Gottem (or someone else) to create one. Although I think this is quite a specific request not many others have :)
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

In this case, The_Myth is correct.

This would invade privacy issues, but if you do not care about that, you could ask a mod to write such module in the Third Party section of this forum
But still my opinion, No one should have the permission to see who private message who in order to have some privacy over the net.
Shdwdrgn

Post by Shdwdrgn »

Normally I could care less who is sending PMs to who, but unfortunately if someone is trying to game the system then I need more information to determine which party is being a troublemaker. I don't know why people can't just play nice.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll probably take a look at the code myself first, but then check in the modules group if I need help.
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Well, there is always the screenshot option :)
Shdwdrgn

Post by Shdwdrgn »

I was actually wondering about /ignore... does that only apply to messages within a channel or will it also block PM's?
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

/ignore also ignores PM's
Shdwdrgn

Post by Shdwdrgn »

Good to know, I'll pass that on to users and see if we can solve this problem the easy way.
HeXiLeD

Post by HeXiLeD »

This is:

1: Unethical
2: Depending on the country, Illegal
3: Useless against anyone using OTR, Omemo or even the weak blowfish encryption
4: 100% ineffective if the users do DCC chat.

and it is a perfect way to get an empty network very fast.
as for modules used in this type of operation, they can be detected by the users if they know what to do and what to look for.
Constructive criticism leads to evolution and progress. Negative criticism leads to obsolescence. We are not in the 90's IRC world anymore.
CertFP: d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244