spamfilter option

If your UnrealIRCd is up and running but you have a question about it, then use this forum.
(NOT for installation or connecting issues! Use the other forum instead.)

Moderator: Supporters

Orobas

spamfilter option

Post by Orobas »

Hi Folks..

Got a scenario i'd like to explore.. I think.. i know the answer is not possible or its a frowned upon notion .. either way its okay as we can just use a soft-warn action.. but i would like to probe the thought anyway..

Looking to get the server to notify us (IRCops) that a url has been used .. but we do not wish to alert the user(s) in question.. is this possible.. we are on unreal 5.0.7. or are only able to use soft-warn and notify the user that the url has been seen by us.. but it is not blocked?
PeGaSuS
Official supporter

Re: spamfilter option

Post by PeGaSuS »

UnrealIRCd will not help, under no circumstances, networks admins to spy on their users.

With that said, it is possible if you know how and where to change the source code.

Cheers
IRC Network: PTirc - GitHub: TehPeGaSuS - Help and support: #unreal-support
Orobas

Post by Orobas »

Nope i kinda knew that was gonna be the answer like i said..we have soft-warn in play so we're doing it properly.. I just wanted to double check i hadnt missed something :)
PeGaSuS
Official supporter

Post by PeGaSuS »

You must understand that I speak as user and also network administrator.

Removing the ability for users to be warned that they've hit a spamfilter, would open a door for administrators to spy on their users.

That's why UnrealIRCd does ALWAYS send a message to the user that have committed the "infraction".

Cheers
Orobas

Post by Orobas »

I totally agree which is why i did mention we had the soft-warn we can use so i was fully aware of it.
Thanks for the clarification that i hadnt missed anything and have things set right :)
PeGaSuS
Official supporter

Post by PeGaSuS »

Just keep in mind that soft actions allow registered users to bypass any spamfilter.

That's the idea under the soft actions, such as soft-gline which allows registered users to bypass, as example, DNSBL lists.

Cheers
Orobas

Post by Orobas »

yeap fully aware of the soft doesnt hit regged users :)
Webmaster78

Post by Webmaster78 »

Otherwise I believe that the previous versions of Unrealircd which still work perfectly, do not inform the user that the ircop have been informed of inappropriate comments on their part or of advertisements etc ... by the spam filter.

I do not know, moreover, if this absence of historizations of private conversations is not incompatible in France with the decree of application of the law n ° 2004-575 of June 21, 2004 which requires that the editors of sites, the hosts, etc ... Internet, keep all traces of Internet users to deliver them to the judicial police or to the State, on request. These data must be kept for one year.
The sanction is heavy, in the event of resistance or even passivity of Internet service providers or French websites that do not keep the data since they would then be liable to a fine of 375,000 euros, and their managers, '' one year of imprisonment and a 75,000 euro fine, not to mention the closure of the site etc ...
I think that in a case like this of inability to provide private historization to justice, unrealircd not allowing it, it is the development team that would be sued, not the site administrator.
For example, Google has confirmed to consult the content of Gmail emails and this did not make anyone react. It is true that consequently one would have to be a little stupid to have an email of this type but it is irrelevant.
CrazyCat

Post by CrazyCat »

I think you misunderstood the law. It's not applicable for instant messenging (IRC is instant messenging), it's for platforms where the messages are kept and publicly diffused.
Having a spamfilter wich will block illegal messages, or punish user sending illegal messages, is enough, as unrealircd will keep a log of faulty message.

The datas which must be keep are the connections log and nothing else.
Orobas

Post by Orobas »

Rather than let this thread descend into unwanted territory, could i ask a mod to either close or delete this thread please :)