Possible to disable PROTOCOL command ?

This forum is for everyone having trouble with linking two UnrealIRCd servers

Moderator: Supporters

pkc1899

Possible to disable PROTOCOL command ?

Post by pkc1899 »

I have a server that does not implement Unreal's PROTOCOL command and therefore could not link with Unreal. My little understanding of
IRC is the PROTOCOL command is NOT part of IRC RFC specs, is really an Unreal specific enhancement.
So is it possible to disable PROTOCOL command in Unreal's ircd config file ? Thanks in advance :-)
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Re: Possible to disable PROTOCOL command ?

Post by Syzop »

I'm sensing that you're trying to link a non-UnrealIRCd server to UnrealIRCd. This is bound to fail, really. It's not as simple as "disabling the protocol command".

If you need a more definitive answer then you could tell us what software are you trying to link.
pkc1899

Post by pkc1899 »

You are right that my IRC server is not Unreal. I have a proprietary IRCd server (with source code) that I need to make it work with Unreal.
After my post, I have since found out that Unreal 3.2.8 source code does not include PROTOCTL/PROTOCOL command. It looks like PROTOCOL
was a "hack" added on/after 3.2.9.

So I think Unreal 3.2.8 may work with our IRCd and would like to try it. However, I could not find the Windows binary for Unreal 3.2.8.
Do you or anyone have kept Unreal 3.2.8 Windows binary somewhere ? My alternative is of course to build Unreal 3.2.8 from source if I do not
have the binary ...
pkc1899

Post by pkc1899 »

A little correction on my last post ...

"Unreal 3.2.8 source code does not include PROTOCTL/PROTOCOL command. It looks like PROTOCOL
was a "hack" added on/after 3.2.9. " - I meant 3.2.8 does not include PANGPANG and code comments says PANGPANG
was a hack to make 3.2.9 work with pre-3.2.9.

My IRC server expects SERVER command after PASS command, and ignores anything before SERVER command.
So when it received PANGPANG, it ignored that too, but then the connection was lost/closed. So I thought if I could
get Unreal 3.2.8 that does not send PANGPANG, then maybe Unreal will then send us a SERVER command and the linking
may work after that ...
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Did the software ever work with UnrealIRCd 3.2.x (older versions)? If not, then I'm sorry to tell you that the PROTOCTL stuff is only the beginning, there will likely be many major hurdles after that and if you are not used to ircd programming then.. :/

Speaking generally about the server protocol, it is documented at Wiki: Server Protocol. Including an introduction. Note that this is for 4.x, which has a few major changes compared to 3.2.x.

All support for 3.2.x will cease 1 month from now, but you can still link with the 3.2.x protocol to a 4.x server.
pkc1899

Post by pkc1899 »

Some old documentation for our IRCd server included info on how to configure our proprietary IRCd config file to link to
UnrealIRCd 3.2.8. So I think our server should have worked with UnrealIRCd 3.2.8 in the past, but unfortunately the project was put
on shelf several years ago and the developer has since left, and I now got the job to pick it up ...

I have successfully linked two UnrealIRCd 4.0 with their local mIRC clients chatting in IM. When I linked one UnrealIRCd 4.0 to our own
IRCd server, I can see that we are getting PASS, PROTOCTL, and eventually PANGPANG from UnrealIRCd. Our server code
indicates that it knew about possible UnrealIRCd commands after having received PASS, but chose to ignore these, and
after PASS command, just want to see a SERVER command. And since UnrealIRCd 3.2.8 did not send PANGPANG, I think
it should work with our IRCd server as the old documentation implied.

So based on what I can see now, I believe our server did work with UnrealIRCd 3.2.8 in the past, but unfortunately we did not have
the 3.2.8 binary. If you have UnrealIRCd 3.2.8 Windows installer binary somewhere on your shelf, I would appreciate getting hold
of it. Thanks in advance :-)