Bot Protection Against Flood

If you have trouble on your server with spam, drones/zombies/bots or proxies

Moderator: Supporters

ComputerTech

Bot Protection Against Flood

Post by ComputerTech »

Hey, so i'm looking for a bot that kill's and possibly network bans a user if they mass flood

is there any such bot,module or simply a option on the unrealircd config, thatbi don't see :roll:

Cheers :P
ComputerTech
Lord255

Re: Bot Protection Against Flood

Post by Lord255 »

ComputerTech

Post by ComputerTech »

Hmm afraid i already looked at that guide, none of them kill or *line, or do they? :roll: and i just havent learnt how to set them to kill? :o
ComputerTech
Lord255

Post by Lord255 »

you said bans a user.. :D not a kill.. idk why you insist on the killing..
ircd can handle such thing and you have channel modes to handle flood events.
you dont need to kill or gline/kline/whatever ban you want, because they wont be able to send msgs.. like the concurrent msg count, etc..
what you want, does not exists on ircd side. (as far as i know.)
ComputerTech

Post by ComputerTech »

hmm, i guess i am trying to predict the future if my network got attacked by multiple bots, and i dont want them connecting to my network, i guess i'll try to find a bot that does this :/
ComputerTech
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I see this quite often, people searching for countermeasures they need to enable, people searching for more magic tips...
If there were useful things that had a good chance of dealing with bots and not killing innocent users, then we would already have integrated them in UnrealIRCd or they would be in development. Similarly, they would be enabled by default or mentioned in the example configuration file, like all our anti flood and anti bot countermeasures.
After all, why would keep good things out or disabled? Why would we keep things secret or left up to the admin to enable, if they are a great countermeasure? :D
It almost seems like people are surprised that we have so many anti flood features enabled by default. Indeed, most of them are documented at https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Anti-flood_features. The only great feature that isn't enabled by default, because it requires channel-specific settings is channel mode +f, so I suggest you look at that (again documented at that page).

To sortof "answer" your last "question". When your network is attacked by multiple bots, that is: a sudden spike in connections per minute, then https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Connthrottle will kick in.
ComputerTech

Post by ComputerTech »

Thanks Syzop :D, appreciate your answer, that answers my question totally, thanks :D
ComputerTech