[DONE] Admin module to allow see client ctcp reply while using +T

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.

Moderators: Gottem, Supporters

HeXiLeD

[DONE] Admin module to allow see client ctcp reply while using +T

Post by HeXiLeD »

I am not sure exactly how to address this and if it can be done as as module or if it should be a feature that should be tweaked in the src code of the ircd.

Problem:
If a user has +T the user will not receive ctcps. This includes version.
Knowing what client uses is needed and useful for the network admins in order to troubleshoot all sorts of problems such as malicious activities.

When a user connects he can set /umode +T automatically and then no one in ircd can get his reply.
However the umode only kicks in right after the ircd check for the client version

Code: Select all

Received a CTCP VERSION from IRC
Even without the umode +T the ircd can automatically set +T for the users privacy and protection, but the ircd still checks for the client version due to ban version block. https://www.unrealircd.org/docs/Ban_version_block

How come there are no ircops snomasks that allow the admins to see the version reply while a client is using +T?
The reply sent to the IRCd should be available to the ircops or at least admins with specific snomask and or available feature.

The reply the client sends to the ircd could also/or be outputted in the services and or log channel if no module is possible.

I have looked for info in the logs and nothing.
Some extra services such as stats services do this and provide the information.

A module to do this should be possible. Whats your feedback ?
Constructive criticism leads to evolution and progress. Negative criticism leads to obsolescence. We are not in the 90's IRC world anymore.
CertFP: d985d21f89fe2977b593c4d381a1a86802e62990d9328d893db76d59f9935244
Gottem
UnrealIRCd coder

Re: [DONE] Admin module to allow see client ctcp reply while using +T

Post by Gottem »

Well, you may have already seen it cross your RSS bot, but I wrote a quick and (sort of) dirty module that should do the trick. It simply allows opers to do CTCPs even if the target has umode +T set. =]
If you like my modules, pls consider donating (credit card or iDEAL, use the custom job fee option in my shop) ;];]
HeXiLeD

Post by HeXiLeD »

I just tested the module and it is great to see it works but there is one detail. It requires that the oper is -T in order to receive the reply.
It would be perfect if the oper was able to maintain +T and still receive the ctcp reply from the client.
Constructive criticism leads to evolution and progress. Negative criticism leads to obsolescence. We are not in the 90's IRC world anymore.
Gottem
UnrealIRCd coder

Post by Gottem »

Should be fixed now, but it uses an additional ModData slot so you may run into certain issues. ;] Basically, once an oper initiates a CTCP it adds an "override" for the reply. So when that arrives it's allowed anyways. Also, oper2oper CTCPs get special treatment in that they're always allowed.
If you like my modules, pls consider donating (credit card or iDEAL, use the custom job fee option in my shop) ;];]
HeXiLeD

Post by HeXiLeD »

Some good news:
- certain known issues did not happen
- oper2oper CTCP works when both opers are +T
- When doing mode user -T this problem does not happen. However it still conflicts with it in a very special way which i will describe later.

Bad news:
oper to user with +T or -T does not work.

Notes:
Not using texshun at the moment of these results
When testing oper to user, always reconnect the user and oper from fresh connection. Not doing so in my case messed up accurate results.

Clients used:
irssi and weechat
Gottem
UnrealIRCd coder

Post by Gottem »

HeXiLeD wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:18 am When testing oper to user, always reconnect the user and oper from fresh connection. Not doing so in my case messed up accurate results.
I reconnect very often when in the process of writing modules. ;]
HeXiLeD wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:18 am oper to user with +T or -T does not work.
I'm guessing these users are on a different server than the oper? I had that problem too and noticed my make script on my third dev server didn't quite do make install. :D So, can you make sure the module is in fact installed, loaded and up to date on all servers? Because on my end, this works:
  • Oper -T => local user -T
  • Oper -T => local user +T
  • Oper +T => local user -T
  • Oper +T => local user +T
  • Oper -T => remote user -T
  • Oper -T => remote user +T
  • Oper +T => remote user -T
  • Oper +T => remote user +T
Servers on both ends have to do some magic, so if the mod is missing or out of date on one, sending to remote users will be a bit glitchy.
HeXiLeD

Post by HeXiLeD »

Currently I am facing:

Code: Select all

Received a CTCP VERSION from OPER
* Received a CTCP TIME from OPER
* Cannot send to user to OPER (You must be connected via SSL/TLS to message this user)
Which is the same problem as described here: https://bugs.unrealircd.org/view.php?id=4953 and solved on the next release.

Will report on this issue once other issues are also resolved. So far the module seems to work within 2 linked servers