Mod Question

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Lacy Melton

Mod Question

Post by Lacy Melton »

Does Unreal support mods in visual basic(6),
or do i have to break out the old C compiler
and get busy?

Just wonderin ;p

Thx for any future replies..
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Umm, VB works in Linux?

If it does, if it can build a .so, and export C compatible functions, then it will work. Otherwise it will not.
-- codemastr
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

AFAIK, VB6 is Windoze only. So if you have the windows version of Unreal, you can't build modules with any language. Only the unix ircd has module support. And VB doesn't work on Unix.

Unless wine can turn DLLs into SO files.

Plus, VB6 doesn't export functions. It is a language designed for COM, which doesn't rely on DLL exports.

VB.NET may be different however. I have yet to determine how the export functions from a .NET DLL, but I am assuming it is possible. I don't know if the .NET Framework will be ported to *nix or not, but if it is, any .NET program that ran on windows could easily be compiled+ran on *nix. Though, this still wouldn't work with Unreal.

The only way to use modules with Unreal is to bust out your C (or maybe C++ even) compiler and make a *nix shared library.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

Well .NET is and for the most part, has already been ported to *nix. But, it doesn't support CRL. VB.NET, if I'm remembering, does not generate a native Windows binary, it generates one using the Common Runtime Language. So even if you did generate a real library in VB.NET, it would be written in a different "machine language".
-- codemastr
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Yes, which is why it still won't work with Unreal, because you'd have to recompile Unreal to support the nececssary interop, and I'm looking at some C++ stuff will be needed to do that.