sorry stealth

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
bosen

sorry stealth

Post by bosen »

it was about my last post that being locked, i have searched it but i couldnt find it, you are not helping too much just tell me to search as i already search it, you may be very helpfull when you give us the link to other thread
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Basically it comes down to this FAQ: Other - I would like to restrict /map and /links

Quoting a part from it:
So back to "why is this useful"? Hiding the names of your client servers makes no sense, since.. because they are client servers.. people have to connect to them so they are either listed on the webpage or have some kind of dns round robin..
(for full text see link I just gave).
bosen

Post by bosen »

thanks Syzop for your reply, i have already read that site before.. But i still dont find anything inside.
it asks why is it useful, i think its a part of security also as if ddoser comes to a network when he cant do /map or /links he just whois on all the users inside the channel...

is it possible to make like that?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

It EXACTLY explains that it does not add any security. In fact, I even pasted the part that exactly explains why!

The only way to hide a server from a DDoS'er is to not publish it anywhere (nor use DNS round robin), and in that case nobody will connect to such servers because nobody knows they exist.

The reason stealth locked your topic is because this has been discussed many times before, until a FAQ item was created. (Well, that doesn't mean sometimes it isn't brought up again, but we have a clear documented position on it now).