REQ a module for proper clock synch.

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Suchiara

REQ a module for proper clock synch.

Post by Suchiara »

In europe we have 2 timezones: Saving timezone in summer and norma, in winter. The problem is when the clock is turned back for 1 hour. Then the party begins:

test1 has been idle 1193045hrs 30mins 26secs, signed on Sat Oct 22 21:34:43

and etc etc. This sucks hard, because the person which was connected *before* the clock synch can't do any commands unless he reconnetcs.

Is there any module/any way which fix this stupid issue?

NOTE: I *don't* want to restart all my ircds due to such simple issue; ircd should handle it itself without user interruption.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Uhm, ircds are using GMT/UTC time, so it has nothing to do with daylight saving and stuff (as long as they are done correctly).

Are you manually changing the time or something?
And what's your OS?
Suchiara

Post by Suchiara »

well we are switching from saving to normal on october 31st (as far as I know). This is debian sarge. Yes, I try to switch the clock manually (1 hour backwards) because I want to see what can I expect when the time changes in reality..

If I'm doing something wrong, then how/what should I do to test if everything will go ok?
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

I don't think you can actually test it.
And yes, changing the time 1 hour backward is different from Linux automatically doing that when we switch back from daylight saving.

This is because when you manually switch the clock back 1 hour, you change the actual clock (including the GMT clock). While, when we enter or leave daylight saving, the GMT clock stays the same, just the offset changes (eg from +2h to +1h for CEST->CET).

You'll see, it will all go smoothly (On Linux, for sure) ;).
Suchiara

Post by Suchiara »

I hope so 8) Thanks :!: :P