Unreal newb

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
topa

Unreal newb

Post by topa »

Hi,

just about managed to setup the Unreal IRCd on my University LAN.Since the 6667 port to the internet is blocked.

I want to implement buddylist's support into the Server.

Should this be supported by the server or the client.

The buddy list should give the list of users (in the list) who are online or offline.

realitively new to the ircd side of the IRC world.

any help will be apreciated.

thank you.
Toufeeq
penna

Post by penna »

/helpop ?watch

if you add a nick to your watch list you get a notify if that nick is already online or just at the moment when that user connects

so it's already in unreal :)
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

I was just about to point you to the /watch command - until I noticed that it doesn't remain between sessions. However, it did give me ideas to put forward to coders for coding this.

It shouldn't be that difficult to code a mod for this - just get the watchlist to remain between sessions. Another option is to talk to services coders to add something like that to their services (say, for example, getting NickServ to store other people's nicks in the NickServ database and notifying the user when those nicks come online). But you'll have to go talk to the services people for this one.

Unfortunately, I can't help you out with making such mods - what I know about coding you can write on a matchbox.

For now, however, you can make a script for your client that allows you to add users to the server's watch list automatically. If you use mIRC, you can do a simple perfom-on-connect for this (I suppose). Other clients might have something similar.
eQuiliBrium

Post by eQuiliBrium »

Even if you dont what to us unreal for this option.
mIRC supports this buddy-watch what you like to have.
Called notify list.

As soon as the user that is in the list comes online a notice is been echoed to you.
Ofcourse this is accordint to your client (mIRC) and not to all clients have this option.
Fore example java users dos not have this notify list option.

But the watch command(in unrealircd) is network wide and dos not depent on the client that you are useing to be linked in the server/network.
Try experimenting with it :).
Let me think about it
topa

Post by topa »

My clinets usually include EPIC or ircII or a rare ScrollZ one as most of the IRC users have text based UNIX boxes.

So I need to implement this feature in the Server side so that it is compatible with *all* clients.

Also I need to run the " /clear " command on startup such that all the message are cleared.

Lastly,
PLease guide me to a well-documented website opn IRC scripting for noob's.

I do have a little experience in Bash scripting. Hope that will help.

Thank You

Also running /watch + nick from a clinet results in No Command found.
Brad

Post by Brad »

topa wrote:My clinets usually include EPIC or ircII or a rare ScrollZ one as most of the IRC users have text based UNIX boxes.

So I need to implement this feature in the Server side so that it is compatible with *all* clients.

Also I need to run the " /clear " command on startup such that all the message are cleared.

Lastly,
PLease guide me to a well-documented website opn IRC scripting for noob's.

I do have a little experience in Bash scripting. Hope that will help.

Thank You

Also running /watch + nick from a clinet results in No Command found.
Try doing /quote watch
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

The problem with implementing the "keep watch between sessions" on the server-side is that the server doesn't implement any form of nickname registration. Now if you could add something to Anope/Auspice to allow users to control a notify list with NickServ, it would be different.
w00t

Idea!

Post by w00t »

Now that, aquaknight, is a good idea... :lol:

Better suggest that at anope.org someone. I cant, cause i forgot my login :lol:
-ChatSpike IRC Network [http://www.chatspike.net]
-Denora Stats [http://denora.nomadirc.net]
-Omerta [http://www.barafranca.com]
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

Right, we added the SVSWATCH (and SVSSILENCE) command for things like that in beta15 :)