Anyway to unlock ' in unreal ircd?

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
icex2005

Anyway to unlock ' in unreal ircd?

Post by icex2005 »

Is there anyway to unlock ' in unreal ircd for the nickname (like 'icex) or make it so no one other than operators can use _name. Reason being I'm creating a webchat for it, and it shows people thats +a (&) as a server op in the nicklist.

Or, is there a way to restrict +a to server operators only?

Thanks.
Grunt

Post by Grunt »

So you're making a webchat or using another one? Because if you use one, chances are it's not meant to handle +a and/or +q modes. I reccommend pjirc. And this has nothing to do with modules.
Computers are machines that cause trouble you wouldn't normally have if you wouldn't have a computer.
icex2005

Post by icex2005 »

Well, shouldent had said making one, but we're using this one: http://www.xtcomputing.com//showthread. ... ge=1&pp=10 but fixing all the bugs and adding our own stuff to it (since its open source).
icex2005

a

Post by icex2005 »

Anyone..?
Dukat

Post by Dukat »

It's very easy to deny regular users the usage of _ in their nickname - use a ban nick block.

http://www.vulnscan.org/UnrealIRCd/unre ... nnickblock

Operators may still use banned nicks.
If you don't make mistakes, you aren't really trying.
- Coleman Hawkins
icex2005

Post by icex2005 »

Thanks, but unfortunatly it's not letting me as an operator use the nick of ~icex. Says Erroneus Nickname :(
FiXato

Post by FiXato »

so you want to change the server because your client isn't compliant to the protocol?
rather backward way of fixing things, don't you think?
Grunt

Post by Grunt »

Whoah there. You can't use ANY nickname you want. It's the way of the irc protocol. All supported characters are: a-z, A-Z, 1-9, ` ^ - _ \ | [ ] { }. (The . is not included in the list). Plus, the nickname cannot start with a number.
Computers are machines that cause trouble you wouldn't normally have if you wouldn't have a computer.
Jason

Post by Jason »

The information Grunt gave you cannot be changed in any way. (Though you can, without extra effort, use 0 in your nick.) Noone, Oper or not, can use any other characters that those in nicks. However, using ban nick blocks, you can reserve other things for IRCops only.

Ex: Ban ^*, and only IRCops can use that. Then, since you are writing your own javachat (somewhat), you can program it to show that character as Server Operators.
Why the hell can't my signature be empty?
"Your message contains too few characters."
icex2005

Post by icex2005 »

I did use the ban nick thing earlier, but it still don't let irc ops use the character which is ~.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

YOU CAN'T USE ~ IN A NICK!
Grunt wrote:Whoah there. You can't use ANY nickname you want. It's the way of the irc protocol. All supported characters are: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, ` ^ - _ \ | [ ] { }. (The . is not included in the list). Plus, the nickname cannot start with a number.
(Quote edited to include 0)

You can only use those characters, nothing more.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Ban nick does NOT add letters to the IRCop namespace. It removes things from the user namespace. You can take a character, like ^ that is in the normal user namespace, and remove it. This way, opers have ^ but users dont. This only will work if ^ was already in the user namespace. Once again, there is NO WAY TO ADD CHARACTERS TO THE NAMESPACE.
Why the hell can't my signature be empty?
"Your message contains too few characters."
JanisB

Post by JanisB »

Grunt wrote:Plus, the nickname cannot start with a number.
Plus, the nickname cannot start with a hyphen.