a java mode

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
kanLiDaL

a java mode

Post by kanLiDaL »

a java mode

what about a mode to be set to users comming from an applet
=> users from a java applet have a special
* ident
* connection password

when a java user enters the server
* the server would give the user a mode +j (preferably)

the reason why this would be very useful
* if a channel owner has many java users there will allways be abusers of that fact, letting spam bots to join the room
=> +R would be good against spam bots
but setting the channel to +R would leave the java users outside of the room (think like a newbie java user: write the nickname and click connect instead of entering your pass too)...

=>>>> plus a channelmode +j
that would only let users with usermode +j join the room and ofcourse letting users that have acces (op vop hop sop ..) to join the room

cuz of that a channel mode +jR would let java users enter the channel (identified to their nick or not) and let only irc client users to join the channel...
making it hard for spambots to enter a +jR room if the nick confirm option is ON, usermodes +G and spamfilter also set...

This module would ROCK!!
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

This has been discussed so many times... The main problem with it is any user can pretend to be a java user and get the same permissions java users get (such as overriding +R channels with +j).

If you search the forums, there is lots of information on this topic.

I assume you got the idea from ConfrenceRoom, which is able to do this because the java applet his hosted by the IRCd itself, so it is near impossible for normal users to get java 'privilages'.
inmean

Java mode

Post by inmean »

Here is what i've done with my module

Server send user 3 random number and i modify the java to calculate the 3 numbers and send back to server, if it calculate right, server set that user +j.

However i keep change the formular once a week, so it's hard to pretend.
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Only problem with that is that it requires changing the Java client repeatedly. It just seems like a lot of work for something like this.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Not necessarily. You generate three random numbers, and use some algorithm to compute the answer. The java client has the same algorithm, and so can send the answer.

The catch? Java can be decompiled.
GhosT

Post by GhosT »

I agree with aquanight. It can be decompiled and people can fake it. :wink:
White_Magic

Post by White_Magic »

i dont see the problem or useful for this, people should be learning to use services by registering nicknames etc. whats the point of such things if the ircd is going to override them anyway?
i spend 4 hrs a day gaming and 14hrs on irc, for 5days a week, im not an addict :D
GouroB

Post by GouroB »

i got a bettr idea .. bout java applets .. if u want a secure applet then y not use SSL java ... no bots can connect to a server with SSL. PJirc provides that SSL module for their applet and unreal supports that applet. but the prob here is it requires to be executed and run from the root. in default port.
But yah a java coder can edit in his way.

and +j is a unreal existing mode i guess ( channel mode ) .. join throttle.

And Stealth whats ConfrenceRoom, and where do i get that ?
-=GouroB=-
https://www.shunno.info
Your complete web Solution
Irc.BanglaCafe.com
LargesT Chat server in BanglaDesH
Jason

Post by Jason »

Bots can connect with ssl. I have written some that do. (I like all of my bots and services to connect with SSL)

Usermodes and channelmodes are completely seperate, so the chanmode +j is not a problem

ConfrenceRoom is another IRC server. It is not UnrealIRCd, and as such, will not be discussed here.
Why the hell can't my signature be empty?
"Your message contains too few characters."