nick collision

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
breed

nick collision

Post by breed »

is there a module that will kill the older (ghost) nick on reconnect if the host/ident is the same, to save a user reconnecting as the alt nick and having to wait untill ping timeout or for someone to kill the nick?
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

One way around that problem is services, with a NickServ GHOST command.

/msg NickServ help ghost
breed

Post by breed »

I know about nickserv ghost command, i was looking for a way to do it auto, without a registered nickname too if possible
Jobe
Official supporter

Post by Jobe »

Problem is it can easily be abused by faking the host name and ident. Meaning I could come on and knock you off intentionally.

If you went specifically by IP instead of host, it can still be abused but not as easily.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Jobe: That's why he wants ident@ip :). Ident, on a properly set up box, which compiles with the goddamn standards everyone freaking ignores, will not allow impersonation, under any circumstances.
Why the hell can't my signature be empty?
"Your message contains too few characters."
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Jason wrote:Jobe: That's why he wants ident@ip :). Ident, on a properly set up box, which compiles with the goddamn standards everyone freaking ignores, will not allow impersonation, under any circumstances.
Jason, people ignore identd because it's a moot point. It used to be useful because in the old days when IRC users mainly connected using Unix based OS's, system admins had more control over the ident replies because non-root users can not use port 113. Windows OS's allows anyone to bind to port 113.

Today anyone with a client can reply to a ident request any way they want and it WILL comply with the "goddamn" standards because the "goddamn" standard (RFC1413) only states HOW to reply, not WHO is restricted to run the identd. The identd standard allow for fakeids without breaking the protocol so impersonation is indeed possible while still complying with the standard.

Additionally, Identd is NOT designed as authentication for the remote host. It's an auditing tool for the local system admin.