Request: 328 RPL_CHANNEL_URL Support in Unreal

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Swampy

Request: 328 RPL_CHANNEL_URL Support in Unreal

Post by Swampy »

328 RPL_CHANNEL_URL Support in Unreal
(reference: http://www.alien.net.au/irc/irc2numerics.html#328 )

Unreal could support this mode, it will show the Channel's URL on entry and also inside the Channel Settings dialog.

Could this be added by way of a module?, or would it need adding to the core?

Many Thanks
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Request: 328 RPL_CHANNEL_URL Support in Unreal

Post by Stealth »

This is something services is meant to provide.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

after actually attempting to write an Anope module for this. I've discovered that Unreal will still pass on any unknown numeric. Personally I find this extremely scary given the number of unknown module coders out there than can literally do anything.

for those that use Anope, you can find the module at: http://modules.anope.org/viewmod.php?id=156
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Hence why you're supposed to trust your module's source. Any module could add any fun backdoor too, and the average user would not know. It's a basic risk taken with any API that supports modules.
katsklaw

Post by katsklaw »

Stealth wrote:Hence why you're supposed to trust your module's source. Any module could add any fun backdoor too, and the average user would not know. It's a basic risk taken with any API that supports modules.
Said risk can be reduced or removed by disallowing the ircd from blindly passing data. Syntax checking is helpful too. Yes, I agree you need a flexible API that allows for coders to expand on the abilities of the core application, but not at the expense or security. While I can agree that blindly passing numerics isn't so risky, I'm sure there is other code that can be more reckless because of the "we trust our sources" mentality. If I'm not mistaken, at one point in time if not still, Unreal would crash on demand over a rather nasty trick that one could perform with a /who bug that seemed to have taken forever to fix if it was ever fixed at all that was nothing more than a lack of syntax checking. I was once told by a well respected coder that has sold millions of copies of their software that sanitation is up to the coder. Isn't syntax checking a form of sanitation? I think so. If an ircd receives unknown data, even from a ulined source, it should be dropped, which IMHO is a lesser evil than blindly passing it along and hope it's not malicious.

There is nothing wrong with adding syntax checking for trusted sources. I've said that a million times. It's just pure laziness not to. "We trust our sources" .. well you shouldn't. Yes, 20 years ago trusting servers was fine, but good morning, this isn't 20 years ago.
nate

Post by nate »

Personally, as I've told people who bitched about crashing unreal because they did stupid things through RAW on a U:Line, we shouldn't have to check what comes from a U:Line, by all means everything completely from a U:Line should be trusted, also I think syntax/content checking everything coming through what should ultimately be a considered source would be an unnecessary process of work and a pain to keep with in what I"m thinking anyways.

As for support of RPL_CHANNEL_URL, Obviously this data would ultimately be provided by services, the data that is, because Channel URL's are stored in services by standard means, but I do understand the concept.

http://bugs.unrealircd.org/3710

Read, post, etc.