Module Requests

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
Theos

Module Requests

Post by Theos »

Hiya.
I have 3 requests for modules, or even as new features in 3.2.2

The first is a new set::option directive which will create a time setting stopping users from joining a channel within X seconds of connecting. This will help limit the amount of spambots which connect->mass spam->disconnect->loop without having to zline them.

The second is a fix to the ~c extended ban to allow multiple channels to be added as well as wildcards. So for example, you could set ~c:#1,#2,#3 which would ban only people who are in all 3 channels, and not people who are in just channel #1, or channel #3 which 2 seperate bans would do.

The final one would be to allow opers to list all channel settings such as the ban list, the chan key and a /names list without having to be in the channel. Also, when the channel is +u it would be handy for an oper to be able to view the nicklist without having to op themselves.

It would also be nice if channel owners and admin could use op commands without having to be set +o. Like when prefix ~/& is set - but without having it set. Personally, i think the ~ and & symbols in a nicklist look ugly (as do many others) however, the ability to be able to op without being set +o is handy.
:: Don't let your mind wander -- It may never come back ::
aquanight
Official supporter

Re: Module Requests

Post by aquanight »

Theos wrote:The first is a new set::option directive which will create a time setting stopping users from joining a channel within X seconds of connecting. This will help limit the amount of spambots which connect->mass spam->disconnect->loop without having to zline them.
Interesting...
Theos wrote:The second is a fix to the ~c extended ban to allow multiple channels to be added as well as wildcards. So for example, you could set ~c:#1,#2,#3 which would ban only people who are in all 3 channels, and not people who are in just channel #1, or channel #3 which 2 seperate bans would do.
Well, for wildcarding, it's interesting, because * and ? are legal channelname characters...
Theos wrote:The final one would be to allow opers to list all channel settings such as the ban list, the chan key and a /names list without having to be in the channel. Also, when the channel is +u it would be handy for an oper to be able to view the nicklist without having to op themselves.
You can already see the banlist/exemptlist without needing to join it, even without oper. Just do /mode #channel +b/+e in the Status window and enjoy :D .
Theos wrote:It would also be nice if channel owners and admin could use op commands without having to be set +o. Like when prefix ~/& is set - but without having it set. Personally, i think the ~ and & symbols in a nicklist look ugly (as do many others) however, the ability to be able to op without being set +o is handy.
Yeah... that is a pain in the behind... but since you can just enable the prefixes... :) . Anyway this would likely just cause problems with eggdrop and similar things...
Theos

Post by Theos »

You are right, * and ? are legal characters in a channel name, which would make wildcarding difficult. But, it would still be useful if someone could think of a logical way of doing it.

However, you are wrong about seeing the channel modes from outside of the channel. Sure, you can use /mode #chan b or whatever if you are in the channel, but you cannot if you are not in it.

And yes, you can enable the prefixes, but they look ugly, and don't work on all clients. The eggdrops shouldn't faulter on either choice, as the new eggdrop has better prefix support.
codemastr
Former UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by codemastr »

The wildcards would not be an issue (for people who have a brain) because Unreal supports escaping. Meaning "#blah*" is a wildcard, "#blah\*" is the channel named "#blah*"
-- codemastr
aquanight
Official supporter

Post by aquanight »

Theos wrote:However, you are wrong about seeing the channel modes from outside of the channel. Sure, you can use /mode #chan b or whatever if you are in the channel, but you cannot if you are not in it.
Hm... well /mode #channel works fine... but why Unreal doesn't allow /mode #channel b escapes me, since that works (even outside the channel) on other IRCds...
Theos wrote:And yes, you can enable the prefixes, but they look ugly, and don't work on all clients. The eggdrops shouldn't faulter on either choice, as the new eggdrop has better prefix support.
Consider this: PREFIX_AQ is disabled. Founder joins and is set +qo. He then sets himself -o, but keeps +q because while he wants to appear "off duty" he wants to keep his +q protection. Eggdrop joins the channel, and ChanServ +qo's it because it's linked to the founder's nick (founder's bot?). The names list reveals the founder as a normal user. Founder uses his +q to set himself +o. Eggdrop sees that he isn't an op, and kickbans him for "Desynch abuse" (assuming he didn't give himself +f :P ).

If prefixes were enabled, eggdrop would see the ~ and (should) recognize him as an op already.
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

without PREFIX_AQ +q means nothing (well, that's slightly incorrect since you still have "some power"), so it requires +qo.
With PREFIX_AQ +q is a REAL mode/status symbol (this is how it always should have been in the first place but it wasn't [fully] supported at that time), so just +q is enough.
Making +q enough without making +q a prefix would break nearly every irc client ("ey, why can X suddenly deop me.. he doesn't even have ops or anything!").
aquanight wrote:Hm... well /mode #channel works fine... but why Unreal doesn't allow /mode #channel b escapes me, since that works (even outside the channel) on other IRCds...
I noticed this a while ago, and when I thought of it I thought it's a good idea (do I even have to explain why?:P). Obviously it should still provide this info to opers even if they are outside the chan.

As for +u chans... I ripped out all the oper override crap, opers just need to op themselves if they really want to see join/parts/etc... It was very annoying code and had constantly bugs, plus I'm not always like "opers are god", if they really need to see this stuff, they should just op themselves!
Anyway, you can still see who is in the channel as an oper by simply doing '/who #chan'.
Theos wrote:The final one would be to allow opers to list all channel settings such as [..] and a /names list without having to be in the channel.
Same for this one.. use '/who #chan'.
Theos

Post by Theos »

codemastr wrote:The wildcards would not be an issue (for people who have a brain) because Unreal supports escaping. Meaning "#blah*" is a wildcard, "#blah\*" is the channel named "#blah*"
I was thinking of that, but then it gets messy when you have a channel called #bl\?\ah\\** or something else dumb like that.

I see your points syzop, and you are right. Opers shouldn't be lazy and can just op themselves or use a /who.
The banlist used to be visible to opers from outside the channel using 3.1.* but on 3.2.* it's not, and as you say, it's a useful tool.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

The final one would be to allow opers to list all channel settings such as the ban list, the chan key and a /names list without having to be in the channel. Also, when the channel is +u it would be handy for an oper to be able to view the nicklist without having to op themselves.
/names #channel does work for opers when they arent in the channel. You may want to look at your clients options, most clients will hide this if you are not in the channel.

I know with mIRC, you need to enable the showing of /names, it is disabled by default. (for some reason... but thats mIRC for ya!)
Syzop
UnrealIRCd head coder

Post by Syzop »

/names #channel does work for opers when they arent in the channel.
Actually for +u it does not work, it just hides the stuff as usual.
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Maybe /names should work like normal for opers and +u channels, it would be nice if it did.