Hide or Enforce a 'realname' on connection.

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
snaekcaek

Hide or Enforce a 'realname' on connection.

Post by snaekcaek »

Hi,

is there a module which hides or enforces a 'realname' to every user connecting?
The thing is, mibbit drops the user's IP into the realname field. And I want to prevent it.
I was thinking editing the src-code from Unreal3.2.8.
Can anyone tell me on wich file the realname-field is parsed?
Thanks
SnaekCaek
Jobe
Official supporter

Re: Hide or Enforce a 'realname' on connection.

Post by Jobe »

To be honest, there is no need if you setup your network with Mibbit.

See http://wiki.mibbit.com/index.php/Enable ... IRC_Server for more information on how to Mibbit enable your server.

Additionally we have an active policy of not supporting source modifications due to the support complications they pose.
Your IP: Image
Your Country: Image
Stealth
Head of Support

Post by Stealth »

Mibbit also puts the user's IP in the username/ident field as a hex "encoded" string. For example, C0A8025C. It can be easily converted back to a usable IP in mIRC with $longip($base(C0A8025C,16,10)). Or you can do it manually: C0 -> 192, A8 -> 168, 02 -> 2, 5C -> 92.

There are many solutions that don't involve editing the source on Unreal:
1. Configure mibbit support as Jobe suggested.
2. Make a simple bot that changes the realname and username for users connecting from mibbit.
3. Make a module that changes the realname and username of mibbit users.
4. Don't run mibbit, and make your own web portal using the resources available. There are many other options for a web-based chat: LightIRC, pjirc, CGI:IRC are only just a few of them.
snaekcaek

Post by snaekcaek »

Mibbit also puts the user's IP in the username/ident field as a hex "encoded" string. For example, C0A8025C. It can be easily converted back to a usable IP in mIRC with $longip($base(C0A8025C,16,10)). Or you can do it manually: C0 -> 192, A8 -> 168, 02 -> 2, 5C -> 92.
true but where the realname is (parv[4] iirc) is also ident... anyway - thanks to grep and less I figured out myself -.-