Some body loged in my unreal ircd with unknown oper

These are old archives. They are kept for historic purposes only.
umersajid

Some body loged in my unreal ircd with unknown oper

Post by umersajid »

Hi,
Today some body came to my server and he loged in as a oper.. when i check the unreal ircd log file.. he was using known oper.
how this is possible. no oper was added with the name of unknown.
is this bug ? or what
i as pasting the logs so u can understand them .. i really need help
[Sun Dec 19 21:50:11 2010] - Connect - [email protected] [VHOST F8B020E9.503A9981.7529D27A.IP]
[Sun Dec 19 21:50:11 2010] - JOIN: KIrangee ([email protected]) joined #pakistan
[Sun Dec 19 22:04:52 2010] - OPER UNKNOWNOPER (kirangee) by ([email protected])

see the above line.. he loged in as a unknownoper. how this is possible. if i try any random nick with random password. it always says NO-OLINES for ur host
than how he did this ???? plz reply as soon as possible..
i am using forum first time in my live .. :s
thankx.. waiting for ur help
katsklaw

Re: Some body loged in my unreal ircd with unknown oper

Post by katsklaw »

It has to be your script or your client. That doesn't even match Unreal's syntax.

When I oper it says:

Code: Select all

You are now an IRC Operator
When someone else opers it says:

.:20:48:. -irc.foonet.com- JoeUser ([email protected]) [oper] is now a network administrator (N)
The [oper] in the last string is the user name used by JoeUser.
Stealth
Head of Support

Re: Some body loged in my unreal ircd with unknown oper

Post by Stealth »

That is not a successful oper attempt at all.

What you are seeing is:

OPER    UNKNOWNOPER                     (kirangee)         by ([email protected])
Event   Status, in this case Unknown    Oper login used    Who did it
As far as I know, there are only 3 things you will see after OPER and before the oper login. The first is the one you have, UNKNOWNOPER, which means there is no matching O:Line in the configuration for the information provided for the O:Line kirangee by the user [email protected]. The other thing you might see is FAILEDAUTH, which means there was an O:Line for that login, but NOT a valid password provided. The last thing you might see is NOHOSTMATCH, which means the user's host did not match that in the O:Line.

Here are a couple examples from my test server:
OPER UNKNOWNOPER (blah) by (poop!ircd@localhost) User poop!ircd@localhost attempted to oper using the login blah, but there was no O:Line for that login.
OPER FAILEDAUTH (Stealth) by (poop!ircd@localhost) User poop!ircd@localhost attempted to oper using the login Stealth, but did not provide the correct password.
OPER NOHOSTMATCH (Stealth) by (poop!ircd@localhost) User poop!ircd@localhost attempted to oper using the login Stealth, but did not have a host matching the host defined in the oper block.

Again, these are logs of FAILED oper attempts, meaning the oper attempt was NOT successful.